Pod Your Reef

So I got a Peppermint Shrimp last night....

jack1978

Thought I'd share this one. I had recently added a few corals to the BC29. Some on plugs, some on l.r. rubble. After getting them home I noticed they all had a few Aptasia growing out of the zoa clusters! I also had one about the size of a grape on a piece of added rock. After reading up on it a bit I decided to try adding a Peppermint shrimp.

So, I put one in yesterday afternoon. Last night before going to bed I was watching him as he was doing hot laps around the tank. He looked like a little Nascar going around and around. I thought I had a mentally challenged shrimp and went to bed.

Woke up this morning and all of the aptasia was gone, picked clean!! This guy was worth the $8.

Question now is......does this stuff grow back?

Thought I'd share this one. I had recently added a few corals to the BC29. Some on plugs, some on l.r. rubble. After getting them home I noticed they all had a few Aptasia growing out of the zoa clusters! I also had one about the size of a grape on a piece of added rock. After reading up on it a bit I decided to try adding a Peppermint shrimp.

So, I put one in yesterday afternoon. Last night before going to bed I was watching him as he was doing hot laps around the tank. He looked like a little Nascar going around and around. I thought I had a mentally challenged shrimp and went to bed.

Woke up this morning and all of the aptasia was gone, picked clean!! This guy was worth the $8.

He should keep it in check, once my peppermint got rid of the initial aptasia that rode in on my LR, it was gone for good, and hasn't come back even though I no longer have my peppermint shrimp.

He should keep it in check, once my peppermint got rid of the initial aptasia that rode in on my LR, it was gone for good, and hasn't come back even though I no longer have my peppermint shrimp.

My peppermint got the Aiptasia in a day, but then decided he like the taste of Acan lords. He has been sumped since and the display tank is starting to have Aiptasia again. Any little fragment of Aiptasia can regenerate to a full anemone. Looking into getting Berghia nudis.

you are a lucky one, I got some LR form a guy who was downgrading his tank and came up with some aiptasia, 5 at least that I can count, so last week I got 2 peppermint for my same 29g and their haven't even look at it!! the LFT said that give it a week or to to star eating it, so im in the waiting now lol

Great to hear, keeping the fingures crossed!

My peppermint got the Aiptasia in a day, but then decided he like the taste of Acan lords. He has been sumped since and the display tank is starting to have Aiptasia again. Any little fragment of Aiptasia can regenerate to a full anemone. Looking into getting Berghia nudis.

Ya, I heard about the nudis. The guy I got the frags from said he had them reproducing in the frag tank. Said I could possibly have some on the frags and rock I took home. We'll see if any pop up.

you are a lucky one, I got some LR form a guy who was downgrading his tank and came up with some aiptasia, 5 at least that I can count, so last week I got 2 peppermint for my same 29g and their haven't even look at it!! the LFT said that give it a week or to to star eating it, so im in the waiting now lol

Ha ha. Ya, the LFS guy said some would go for it and some wouldnt. Looks like I lucked out.

my pep shrimp took care of all my aptaisa not all at once but with in a week it was all gone he likes to annoy some of my corals but i have not noticed it eat any. even though it is constantly perching on my Cespitularia. I have seen my pep doing a great job of scavenging uneaten food from around the tank and i actually seen him take food right out of one of my duncans mouth. overall its was a good purchase

I tried one or two pepps before and they never did anything. I finally got nine and that took care of it. I think there is a higher success rate with this when you have more. This is in a 29g biocube BTW.

You're lucky just one took care of it. It is kinda cool having so many though.

danthenewreefman

2 in a 75g made short work of them.

If you'll go apesh!T on manual removal (super glue or aptasia X) they'll handle it from there.

You gotta kinda make a dent in the aptasia population if it's bad. Then they'll have no trouble taking care of it.

I tried one or two pepps before and they never did anything. I finally got nine and that took care of it. I think there is a higher success rate with this when you have more. This is in a 29g biocube BTW.

I agree on the higher number. I would like to add a few more as they seem to be more comical in groups. True? How many would you suggest in a BC29 that currently has a cleaner shrimp as well? Or a more complete question.....

Could I have a cleaner shrimp, multiple pepps and a fire shrimp in a BC29? The tank has plenty of rockwork, crevices, caves and the like.

Thanks,

I agree on the higher number. I would like to add a few more as they seem to be more comical in groups. True? How many would you suggest in a BC29 that currently has a cleaner shrimp as well? Or a more complete question.....

Could I have a cleaner shrimp, multiple pepps and a fire shrimp in a BC29? The tank has plenty of rockwork, crevices, caves and the like.

Thanks,

by the way, I notice one of the many aiptacia is gone, and I have a 29 as well with a clenaer and 2 pepps min, and their do ok,also with alot of rock and caves, im thinking to add a fire shrimp as well, how those the cleaner N the fire goes along? do their go along with each other? my fist option was just a cleaner and a fire, but then aiptacia came along before I add the fire and I had it to add the pepps min wich where not on my plans but I like them now lol,

WOW!!! A little bit too shrimppy!!! lol, I know shrimp are awesome, my original plan was to add

1 cleaner

1 red blood

5-7 sexy one

and then some one told me I was going too shrimppy hahaha lol

and now that im thinking I will be adding 7-9 sexy shrimp and a red blood hahah :lol:

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

I picked up a pair of peppermint shrimp a few weeks ago to get rid of a few aiptasia that popped up on some of my rocks, they took care of them in 2 days, but like anemone fan said, they decided to acquire a taste for my Acans, so keep a close eye on them if you have acans in your tank.

Archived