Pod Your Reef

BC 29 Heater Gets Submerged in Chamber 3

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Gr8_Outdoorsman

I have a BC 29 with the inTank media rack and fuge in chamber 2, the AquaticLife skimmer in chamber 1 and a 100W Fluval heater in chamber 3.

I've read that most people shut off their pumps when they feed their fish. My problem is that when I shut off my pumps/powerheads, the water level quickly rises in chambers 2 and 3 to stabilize. If I didn't pull the heater out, the water level would certainly go over the top of the heater completely submerging it.

How do you handle this? Is the heater completely sealed?

It seems like this is a very common setup, but I don't want to risk the heater shorting out and frying my tank.

Thank you for your advice!

Gr8_Outdoorsman
buy a fully submersible heater......seriously though, you should

Any suggestions? I'm kind of new to this and haven't seen any that were fully submersible.

Any suggestions? I'm kind of new to this and haven't seen any that were fully submersible.

if yours is the one w the little LED screen on front then i believe it is fully submersible. and it should say right on the package too

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Mine is the silver glass one with water lines on the side of it. I will look for a fully submersible one now. Dangit, it sounds like I wasted my money on this one! Oh well....

I have a BC 29 with the inTank media rack and fuge in chamber 2, the AquaticLife skimmer in chamber 1 and a 100W Fluval heater in chamber 3.

I've read that most people shut off their pumps when they feed their fish. My problem is that when I shut off my pumps/powerheads, the water level quickly rises in chambers 2 and 3 to stabilize. If I didn't pull the heater out, the water level would certainly go over the top of the heater completely submerging it.

How do you handle this? Is the heater completely sealed?

It seems like this is a very common setup, but I don't want to risk the heater shorting out and frying my tank.

Thank you for your advice!

I remember when I was shopping for a heater and the Fluval one states that it is completely submersible. Then when you look closer there is a max water level line marked on the heater. Confusing. I bought a different one that is indeed fully submersible.

On the flip side of things, you need to be careful with the heater in chamber 3 with evaporation. Both chambers 2 & 3 lose water first. Pretty sure most submersible heaters need to be fully submersed or pretty close to it. Just a thought...

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Does anyone have a recommendation for reputable fully-submersible heater?

Also, should I stick with a 100W for the BC29 or would a 50W be ok since I live in Houston, TX?

Thanks!

Does anyone have a recommendation for reputable fully-submersible heater?

Also, should I stick with a 100W for the BC29 or would a 50W be ok since I live in Houston, TX?

Thanks!

I had a 100W Jager in my BC29 and loved it. Prolly one of the best heaters for the price.

Gr8_Outdoorsman

I appreciate your help....

I was actually able to bring the Fluval heater back as I still had the receipt. I found a fully submersible Aqueon 50W heater that I'm going to give a try. It was able to fit in chamber 3 and stay submerged even with the lower water level. It seems to be very well made.

Archived