Coral Vue Hydros

Low kh

shingo43

Hi, everyone

I tested my water using Tetra KH tester and found my KH is only around 6, I bought a coral frag from local reefer laster night and his KH is around 8-9. I have a rsm 34g setting up for about 6 month, here is my other parameters, I only use DD H2O salt and rodi water(0ppm)

no3 2-5

po4 0.03

ph 8.1-8.3

ca 430

mg 1300

I don't have much coralline algae growing in the back of my tank, but they grow on my surface skimmer and power head, why? is that because my low KH? I was told the tap water is very soft in my city so is that the reason that I got low KH?

my lfs sells this product, is that what I should use to increase my KH? how much should I dose?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_p...oduct_ID=k-pb16

CoralWhisperer

Youd be better off getting a 2 part additive because once you get your alk in line, youll start using up calcium as coraline and corals grow.

You can get a 2 part and just use the alk bottle till your in range . . .

I like b-ionic myself, but there all basically the same.

Youd be better off getting a 2 part additive because once you get your alk in line, youll start using up calcium as coraline and corals grow.

You can get a 2 part and just use the alk bottle till your in range . . .

I like b-ionic myself, but there all basically the same.

thanks, I usually do 15% water change every week, will that cover the calcium consumed? or do I need to add calcium every day, I have most lps including bubble,candy cane,duncan,frogspawn etc and some sps like mille and acro.

I'm having a KH issue as well. My kH is around 5 on the API kit, but my calcium is north of 500. I do weekly water changes and kH of the mixed water always reads around 9. Should I do a one part additive?

CoralWhisperer

I cant answer those questions guys.

You have to test and find your usage and replace as necassary.

LPS corals use calcium and it will need to be replaced.

Some folks can get away with just doing WCs to accomplish this, and some folks cant, the brand of salt plays a huge role in that theory(and is enough for a different thread in itself, and there are tons of threads about that already.

If your usage is greater than what a WC replaces for you, then your gonna need additives.

mbonus, that is really not enough info in your question to even try to answer it.

There is tons and tons of info about the relationship of cal to alk to magnesium on the web, a few hours of research will probably help explain it better than I can or am willing to do, at this point.

It takes alot of understanding of how they work together, and like I said, the info IS out there and on this forum.

Archived