Which sea salt?

Fluffeh

Hi, I'm running out of the salt Ive been using for the past 4 months. It is Instant Ocean REEF CRYSTALS. I was told by the LFS that if I continue to use this salt, I will need to start dosing my tank soon as I bring in more LPS and softies. However, they did say if i changed my salt to something like KENTS then I might not need to do the dosing. Is this true? What do you guys recommend me getting for salt?

Thanks!!!

IO....... *uck the LFS if you're doing your water changes you'll be fine. I had a 20 nano for years and never dosed it with IO salt and I had LPS, SPS and softies. I also did weekly 5% water changes.

Haha sounds like your lfs may get a kickback from selling kents... Pitching kents over IO for your softies and lps without knowing your levels raises an eyebrow.

Depending on what you have in your tank, you may need to dose with any salt you use. Any of the big name salt brands will be good and only through testing what waterchanges will do to replenish the various elements you will see if you need to dose or not.

yes, I agree that search is very handy but digging through 10 pages of posts from 1-8 years ago is not much fun. I am getting ready to start a BC 14 and have been wondering about salt as well, but as you can tell it is mostly personal preferance with a few more popular choices and depends on the params of your tank, from what I have read anyways (i'm a noob).

I use Seachem Reef Salt. Best stuff ever. It's like liquid gold, and it's not even that expensive either, from aquacave.com. My pH is spot on, calcium is perfect as is everything else, and unlike my last salt which was Oceanic, i don't see any cyano issues. I doubt i'll ever switch to another salt, just because my results from Seachem are so good.

Archived