Cultivated Reef

Dori, seahorses, and nanocube12..oh my

brandolando4

I went to my lfs the other day and they have a nanocube 12 with, 4 seahorses, 3 baby blue hippo tangs, a lawnmower blenny and a bunch of coral!

This owner is very knowledgeable and has been keeping reefs since he was like 12 and he is like 60 now, so he kept reefs when it was hard!! But I jus thought this was hilarious!! And amazing that the seahorses are fine!

Nah, it's a fish store. Probably just wants a safe, small space for the baby tangs...no big deal as long as he explains to those interested the real deal.

The Wierd funny thing is, I watched Jim test the water it was all zero, and he knows what he is talking about, he said he did it because the everyone was picking on the baby doris in his other tanks, lol... I wish ora would get off there lazy asses and make mini tangs so bad!!

A guy by me has two reidi seahorses and a damsel in a nanocube 12. He's had the horses for 2+ years. All seems ok and I was thinking of getting two ponies for my biocube but I'm still leaning towards not doing it. I don't think its enough room. And that tank at your lsf is ridiculously over stocked. He's a horrible influence on his customers and should have a sign on that tank saying. Don't try this at home.

Exactly, temporary.. so that you may catch these small but swift fish without causing even more stress to them. While i worked at an lfs, we'd have those self righteous arrogant customers say, "I cant believe you would put that fish in a tank this size!" And i had to ask them if they would like me to catch the fish they wanted out of a swimming pool, a more appropriate size, if they would wait for a month till i could maaaaybe catch it. They shut up pretty fast.

yah, thats what he said, and thats why i wasnt concerned....

but i just wanted to see if the tang police would come harping down!!

CoralWhisperer
but i just wanted to see if the tang police would come harping down!!

With budget cuts these days, itll probably take em a while to repond, but Im sure theyll show before the end of the day . . .

CoralWhisperer

The answer has already been stated . . .

LFS are trying to SELL these things.

They are on DISPLAY . . .

Right or wrong, people keep buying them so stores will keep selling them.

One of my LFS has a fluval edge on their counter, there are different things in it every week.

Its the exact same thing as grocery stores putting all the sugar cereals on the low shelves so that young kids can see them and ask mommy to buy it for them.

ANd as mentioned, it makes it much easier for everyone involved to get the fish when someone wants to buy it.

Imma stay away from this thread now, gave my opinion, and I really dont see anything overtly wrong with it.

:P

I understand the holding tank being small but to have so much bioload in such a small amour of water is not good. Especially with how delicate seahorses are with water quality. IMO asking for trOuble. Am I that wrong?

9 fish in >10 gallons of water come on guys! Nothing is rite about this.

I would think the seahorses would starve, because they are so slow at eating, perfect opportunity for a fast tang to swoop in and steal the piece of food.

Archived