Coral Vue Hydros

6-line wrasse

Rufessor

I have a very specific question about this fish.

This is on the top of our list for the final addition to our 29g BioCube. Current inhabitants=fire fish, clown, yellow head jawfish. Tons of rock, tons of sponges, snails, crabs, shrimp, tons of Zoas, button polyps, 3 LPS varieties and 1 birds nest SPS, leather and Kenya tree, encrusting Gorgonian, and....a lot of very small filter feeding tube worms....

Question is- I have read anecdote and other less certain claims that these guys will eat the filter feeding tube worms. Is this FACT, or if otherwise well fed will they leave them alone. I feed 1x/day for the most part but skip days during the week (on purpose and randomly) with 2x/day on weekends to enjoy a late evening feeding session.

Would love a nice open swimming active fish. WOuld not be offended if it picked off the occasional bristle worm, but would not really be too happy if it decimated our filter feeding tube worms. This will be the last fish and I am confident it will have adequate of room and do ok with current inhabitants, likely will be dominant fish but nothing else has similar behavior so all will probably be chummy in a week or two. Tank is dominated by large amount of rock work on multiple levels with a lot of swim through caves/channels and a 2-3 inch sand bed.

Thanks.

I have quite a few small dusters and I know where most of them are. I've had a 6 line for a few months now and, as far as I can tell, they're all still there.

If you have intricate rock work with tunnels and caves, this would be a very entertaining fish for you.

THANKS

I have decided I hate the internet... it ruins all my fish keeping plans. Now I am suddenly finding a TON of posts about 6-lines decimating FireFish.

I realize that every tank and each fish is different... anyone else think FireFish+6-line = beat up FireFish?? I have a LOT of experience from freshwater and aggressive Salt fish only tanks but this new to me. My feeling is that rock work makes a very very big difference in fish behavior. If you give fish places to hide/things to do they do much better together than in a relatively empty tank or one without variety so I kinda think I am going to go for it...

One things for sure, any fish added to this tank is NEVER coming out with all the rock work. I am laughing thinking about trying to pull out the JawFish. I would need to COMPLETELY strip the tank, and the fire fish is FAST. Yeah, anything new stays so no second chances here. Would you do it? Lots of 6-lines out there... what about experiences with similar fish in a rock work heavy tank? Did they do ok long term? Trying to be a good fish keeper and keep long lived happy fish.

THANKS

I have decided I hate the internet... it ruins all my fish keeping plans. Now I am suddenly finding a TON of posts about 6-lines decimating FireFish.

I realize that every tank and each fish is different... anyone else think FireFish+6-line = beat up FireFish?? I have a LOT of experience from freshwater and aggressive Salt fish only tanks but this new to me. My feeling is that rock work makes a very very big difference in fish behavior. If you give fish places to hide/things to do they do much better together than in a relatively empty tank or one without variety so I kinda think I am going to go for it...

One things for sure, any fish added to this tank is NEVER coming out with all the rock work. I am laughing thinking about trying to pull out the JawFish. I would need to COMPLETELY strip the tank, and the fire fish is FAST. Yeah, anything new stays so no second chances here. Would you do it? Lots of 6-lines out there... what about experiences with similar fish in a rock work heavy tank? Did they do ok long term? Trying to be a good fish keeper and keep long lived happy fish.

Well I have alot of rockwork too and I'm going to try adding a firefish to a tank I put a small sixline wrasse in yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes lol

I have a 6-line, fire fish and yellow watchman goby. The 6-line doesn't do anything expect swim around and try find food. I have at least 6 feather duster worms and the 6 line has never bothered them. Same goes for my fire fish, if anything they're kinda friends and swim together here and there. For whatever reason my watchman does not like the 6 line and he'll swim out to scare the 6 line off if it gets too close to his burrow.

I will say that my 6 line has decimated my pod population and, thankfully, the flatworms I had for a while. I would get the smallest one you can find if you're worried about it causing trouble.

THANKS

I have a 14g bc and i have a regular and purple firefish and i added a 6 line about two weeks ago and every body is getting along and swimming together. no problems here, but like you said every fish is different.

Hey read the official six line wrasse thread. Most sixlines bought for nanos are babies they get up to 3" and once they reach maturity that's when they get aggressive that's why alot of people say there peaceful and getting along with everything and than suddenly there killing everything. I wanted one to but didnt wanna risk it killing my firefish since I like it more.

Hey read the official six line wrasse thread. Most sixlines bought for nanos are babies they get up to 3" and once they reach maturity that's when they get aggressive that's why alot of people say there peaceful and getting along with everything and than suddenly there killing everything. I wanted one to but didnt wanna risk it killing my firefish since I like it more.

Sorry, can you point me to that thread? Do you mean the fish guide with feeding recommendations etc etc? I have read that one but will look again. I think you hit it square on the head. Baby/small/juvie fish are different than when they grow up. Need to think about this. Maybe feed some anabolic steroid soaked food to the firefish :P

Archived