ReefCleaners.org

Wtrouman's 2 Gallon Fluval spec

wtroutman

Hi everyone. I used to be a somewhat avid poster here(with my BC29) but do to life changes, time constraints, etc I kind of just fell off the Earth.

Maybe some of you remember Pony's BC29, maybe you don't but I couldn't for the life of me remember the email address on my old account let alone the account log in information. Enough about that.

So I was at the LFS yesterday and I found my Valentine. She just looked at me from across the room, winked, and I melted.

FluvalSPECDesktopGlassAquarium.gif

My real valentine(wifey) was with me and I think she saw the twinkle in my eye.

I was told...."If you can find the space..."

The tank is 10 x 9.25 x 7.25 in I can totally find the space. ;)

I did not by it at the LFS store as the price was questionable and after a search online, I would up ordering it for about 60 bucks vs the 80 the LFS store wanted.

Not going to lie, I still found it a bit steep but it's just so shiny! (and is my v-tines day gift).

Now, when I saw it at first, the stock LED's looked ok but the more I think about it, the more I am going to try out some DIY LED pendant shenanigans. If that fails, I guess I could always grab a PAR30 lamp?

I am probably going to grab a stealth 25w heater to start and I am unsure of any pump upgrades as I need to see what space I am actually working with.

I have an aquaclear 70 lying around somewhere that I may mod into a fuge but again, size will be an issue. I believe the 70 has about .5gallon volume and that is 1/4 the tanks total volume so we will see.

Rough (and I mean rough) stocking plans:

3 x sexy shrimp

1 x YCG/GCG

1 x pom pom crab

asst. zoas

Would love love love love a purple gorg but have never owned nor cared for them in the past. I saw one in a pico a while back and it just popped.

Mini nem

asst shrooms

I am undecided on the non-squishies as of now. I would like them but even my bc29 was mostly squishies to It's that next step, you know?

Sorry for the long write-up. Once I get the tank I'll add some personal pics.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wanted this tank really bad but it was $75 at my LFS and my dad said he wouldnt pay $75 for a tank that small.:(

Yeah, I totally understand his point of view. It is kind of steep and honestly, if you asked me 6 months ago if I would buy it, it probably would have been a heck to the no kinda deal.

The way it was displayed though.....

omg...I hopes it comes to fruition like it has in my mind!

I also just discovered there is place right around the corner that sells CREE's?

I may have to go investigate.

I am thinking a 6 LED array, 3RB, 3white.

Dimmable of course so I can adjust my color and whatnot.

Hrmmm...

oh my... I might be spending some money soon :P

people will disagree, but I think you should either do the sexies or the goby and crab. it is better to be safe. this thin isnt even going to hold 2 gallons after everything's in there.

people will disagree, but I think you should either do the sexies or the goby and crab. it is better to be safe. this thin isnt even going to hold 2 gallons after everything's in there.

I can totally understand the concern.

The primary goal is the sexies and once everything is up and running, they will be the first.

Once all gets settled in, I plan to judge the rest by water params/stability.

Nothing is set in stone yet other than the sexies :D

Wow, I ordered the tank on Sunday...delivery is by the end of the day today. I guess I may need to go buy some stuff :P

I wasn't anticipating it being here so soon.

I am thinking that I may remove the bottom plastic rim, any thoughts?

look around at other people's tanks and see if it is possible w/o destroying the tank. I know for sure you cannot remove those silver brackets though.

AND IT'S A GO!

Alright, it did officially come today.

It is wet.

I have a 25 watt heater and the stock pump/light as of now. The black rim totally looks better in person than it does in the image.

I have about 2.5 lbs of liverock in it and just bought water out of the lfs system to get it started. The rock is a little snug on the sides but nothing a toothbrush can't take care of. I may put a bit more sand in because...well... I wound up having to buy a 10lb bag X_X

That's all they had.

So... what good is a tank is born thread without pics, right?

Well, IMAGE DUMP!

New in box

100_5086.jpg?t=1297817554

Tiny Pump

100_5091.jpg?t=1297817553

Ready for water (filled up with fresh water when I got home from work, didn't leak a few hours later...good enough for me)

100_5093.jpg?t=1297817553

Filling up: taking forever ;)

100_5096.jpg?t=1297817553

Filled up: omg that took like 2 minutes!

100_5097.jpg?t=1297817553

Cloudy FTS

100_5099.jpg?t=1297817553

Right hand side

100_5102.jpg?t=1297817553

Lefthand side:

100_5103.jpg?t=1297817553

As a scale reference:

100_5105.jpg?t=1297817553

I wanted this tank really bad but it was $75 at my LFS and my dad said he wouldnt pay $75 for a tank that small.:(

wait, so your dad buys everything for you?

Thanks everyone. I think mini mentioned their dad buying stuff.

This tank for me was a v-tines gift from the wifey :D

As for the monti...me thinks I need to get to work on my new lights ;)

I totally want buff crabs, creatine fueled pompom ftw!

So, the laptop power supply is 19v, 6.8a Unless I am mistaken, this should be more than enough for what I am planning for my light.

Thoughts/concerns?

wait, so your dad buys everything for you?

I hope that wasn't meant to be condescending. He is 12. I don't remember having that kind of money at 12 years of age. ;)

This tank can be bought for $50 or so. I just got one for my fiancee for $49 + tax here in cali at our LFS. It's a good tank. She used it for her betta fish.

Your lighting arrangement looks good, it looks exactly like my par38 bulb, but with 1 fewer blue led in the center. The height of the SPEC really gives way for some interesting coral reef layering imo.

19v, 6.8a

That is a lot of amperage. I'm driving 10 LED's with a 24V, 4.2A power supply, and it still has a lot of headroom for more in the future.

I hope that wasn't meant to be condescending. He is 12. I don't remember having that kind of money at 12 years of age. ;)

This tank can be bought for $50 or so. I just got one for my fiancee for $49 + tax here in cali at our LFS. It's a good tank. She used it for her betta fish.

Well, I just turned 15 and whatever I want i have to buy. I read other threads were he posted and he always says "let me ask my dad" or "my dad just bought this for me" Sure I just bought a $315 compond bow but it was with my money

Well, I just turned 15 and whatever I want i have to buy. I read other threads were he posted and he always says "let me ask my dad" or "my dad just bought this for me" Sure I just bought a $315 compond bow but it was with my money

I pay for everything with my own money. I have over $300 invested in my FW tanks. I do not have supportive parents in this hobby. I have to ask my dad cause he doesn't want me to just go off buying things on the Internet randomly. Is this enough info about me for you?

Guys, I have to ask that you please keep the squabble elsewhere. I would like to keep this as on topic as possible.

On topic: hoping to have clear tanks pics tonight.

Camera is charging :D

Guys, I have to ask that you please keep the squabble elsewhere. I would like to keep this as on topic as possible.

On topic: hoping to have clear tanks pics tonight.

Camera is charging :D

+1 to offline slap-fight. :slap:

Alright, been busy. Looks like I may be getting the start of the diatoms :P

Time for a baby cuc.

Sorry no major updates. I have been busy working a pseudo remodel of the living room.

Probably bigger updates this week.

Archived