SaltCritters.com

Bristle worms! good bad?

aussiereef

Hey, I'm new to the salt water fish/reef world and I started my tank about a week ago. Its a 28gallon JBJ Nano and so far I'm loving it! I have plenty of live rock and live sand and am fully aware that they will and are holding many creatures which come out at night. I have already had to remove two small rocks due to them having a few manjano anemones. But last night I saw a bristle worm for the first time! I have read a little about them and know what they are capable of doing to corals. Since I do intend to start a reef tank and don't want these pest I immediately removed the rock. I had rapped the rock in a paper towel and today I opened the towel and saw a three inch bristle worm. Anyways i'm just curious what peoples experiences are with these worms and wondering if I did the right thing by removing him. Is it possible that he could have reproduced already? Im keeping a close eye on my tank now at night just incase. Thanks for the help!

britsle_worm.zip

Hey, I'm new to the salt water fish/reef world and I started my tank about a week ago. Its a 28gallon JBJ Nano and so far I'm loving it! I have plenty of live rock and live sand and am fully aware that they will and are holding many creatures which come out at night. I have already had to remove two small rocks due to them having a few manjano anemones. But last night I saw a bristle worm for the first time! I have read a little about them and know what they are capable of doing to corals. Since I do intend to start a reef tank and don't want these pest I immediately removed the rock. I had rapped the rock in a paper towel and today I opened the towel and saw a three inch bristle worm. Anyways i'm just curious what peoples experiences are with these worms and wondering if I did the right thing by removing him. Is it possible that he could have reproduced already? Im keeping a close eye on my tank now at night just incase. Thanks for the help!

Bristle worms aren't pests and don't eat corals.

They are detritivores, a great addition to you clean up crew.

There are only a couple of species of fireworms that eat corals.

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchworms.html have a read, halfway down the page.

zip file?

were you able to download the zip file. it wouldnt let me post the picture here. I did a little research myself and did read about the fireworms. I just feel uncomfertable having a worm like this in my tank. i saw one worm in a forum that grew to be 4 feet in length! def. dont want that in my tank lol

were you able to download the zip file. it wouldnt let me post the picture here. I did a little research myself and did read about the fireworms. I just feel uncomfertable having a worm like this in my tank. i saw one worm in a forum that grew to be 4 feet in length! def. dont want that in my tank lol

Lol yeah they are creepy, but they do an excellent job of cleaning a reef tank.

My worms do a better job of cleaning my sand than my 200 or so snails..(my 4 turbos had babys)

as for it multiplying...yea if you have one i would say there are probably 10 more you havent seen yet.

feeding lightly can keep them in check but I doubt if youll ever get rid of them completely short of only putting dry rock in your tank (and nuking whatever LR you already have...which is def. not a good idea if you already have something in your tank)

a 4ft godzilla bristle worm would be really COOL....wish I had one :)

Archived