Top Shelf Aquatics

NEED HELP! Tons of Aquarium Equipment/Supplies

mmcguffi

So I have a whole bunch of aquarium supplies Ive been thinking about selling to my LFS. What do you think is a fair price for each of these things? Im not really sure what to think as I traded my Wii for all this stuff (plus more!) a couple of years ago to a guy who was getting out of the hobby. Talk about a steal!

1.) 55 gal clarity plus acrylic aquarium

2.) ~25-35 gal sump

3.) 36" JBJ T5 Aqua-Lighting (lights of unknown age)

4.) UV sterilizer (lights of unknown age)

5.) Overflow

6.) Assortment of pumps

7.) Black Wooden Stand

8.) Skimmer

post-63584-1297661589_thumb.jpg

post-63584-1297661597_thumb.jpg

post-63584-1297661603_thumb.jpg

post-63584-1297661611_thumb.jpg

post-63584-1297661617_thumb.jpg

post-63584-1297661624_thumb.jpg

post-63584-1297661635_thumb.jpg

Used equipment doesn't maintaint its value well. I'd only sell it to them if they seem truly interested in buying it. Otherwise they should be offering you about half what it is worth (in order to make money on it). Do some research on Craigslist and eBay to get a feel for what similar used equipment is going for.

If you decide to sell it to you LFS, think about a trade instead. Sometimes you will get a better deal if they don't have to pay out cash. Hopefully someone will help you with pricing; but, if not, do your research ahead of time.

I appreciate the advice but the reason Im asking on nanoreef is I cant seem to find most of these things on ebay (and craigslist). Ive found similar models new online but Im having a hard time figuring out what they go for used. Indeed I cant even find the model of the tank anywhere online!

Does anyone have any idea what the tank, the lights, and the sump should go for?

Used systems just aren't worth much, although that one does look pretty nice. Unfortunately there's no used aquarium blue book. Anything used is only worth what someone is willing to give you for it. The light, stand, tank, and sump are the only things of any real value. The rest of the stuff is just that, stuff. I know I'd probably throw most of it away if I bought the whole system.

The LFS probably won't give you a fair deal on it, they need to make a profit. Try finding a local forum and posting it for sale in the classifieds there. Or craigslist. I'd start around $400 for all of it. If someone wants something specific they'll ask you about breaking up the system.

Good luck.

HecticDialectics

I'd say $200-250 would be a fair offer from a LFS... because they still have to make enough money on it to make it worth their time.

It'd be a lot smarter for you to part it out and sell it in pieces on RC/local forums/craigslist

You could probably get 4-500 off selling it yourself if you're savvy.

The light, stand, tank, and sump are the only things of any real value. The rest of the stuff is just that, stuff.

Ditto, but i'd characterize it more as junk. :P Some no name skimmer and some pumps... eh. $40 obo

The stand, tank, and sump are nice tho.

Ditto, but i'd characterize it more as junk. :P Some no name skimmer and some pumps... eh. $40 obo
Thats what I was really thinking, but I was trying to be gentle. :happy:
Thats what I was really thinking, but I was trying to be gentle. :happy:

Hey most of it looks like junk to me, why do you think im trying to sell it lol

I appreciate the advice and price estimations though, I really had no idea what to ballpark this stuff at.

Archived