Top Shelf Aquatics

How to plumb this setup?

Zer0

Alright, so here is how my overflow is setup.

wgw1zc.jpg

And i'm a little confused as to how i'm going to set this up, so that it isn't noisy and doesn't gurgle 24/7.. or pretty much at all.

Am i just slapping a simple bulkhead on there and letting the water get sucked in? Or should i use PVC and basically make a small standpipe? It's about 9 inches from top to bottom inside of the overflow box, and i feel as though if the water has to fall 7 or 8 inches give or take, from the teeth to the bottom where the bulkhead is, it's going to have a pretty loud splashing sound continuously. Would i be correct to assume this? So yeah, should i be having to make a small standpipe? And with a simple open top and a grate over it just in case anything gets through the teeth of the overflow box?

Thanks to everyone that reads this and helps. :)

Just use the bulkhead and run either a hose or hard pvc to the sump. It will not gurgle unless you have to much flow going to it.

If it is a 1" bulkhead dont put more than 400gph to it and you will be pretty quiet.

Just use the bulkhead and run either a hose or hard pvc to the sump. It will not gurgle unless you have to much flow going to it.

If it is a 1" bulkhead dont put more than 400gph to it and you will be pretty quiet.

Also you can get some really course foam block and cut a chunk that fits the size of the overflow box.Will act as a prefilter to.

Really your not going to get a huge cascade effect from the teeth to the box as the water will kinda stick to the walls of the overflow more or less. You will have to get some really good flow to make the water jet from the teeth into the box. Think of it more as water seeping into the box.

IMO, you'll get a ton of gurgling. If it were my tank, I'd do a Herbie/durso type of standpipe. Plus it'll help keep snails and whatnot out of the plumbing.

Why not just try a bulkhead and see how that goes noise-wise? If it's too noisy, just stick in a standpipe and you're set.

Why not just try a bulkhead and see how that goes noise-wise? If it's too noisy, just stick in a standpipe and you're set.

^^^^ Im sure its a small tank and filling it up next to the bathtub or kitchen sink shouldnt be a problem.

If you use a standpipe drill some holes in the pipe that that even if a snail climbs over the top you still have water leaving the overflow box which with your particular setup would probably be safer than just the open bulkhead anyways.

Good suggestions guys. I'm going to test it out with the bulkhead first, and if it gurgles, even the slightest bit, i'm going to standpipe that bich. Since it's not expensive at all i'm going to build the standpipe tomorrow. :)

Also, i have another question i don't feel like making a new thread for. If the hole in the overflow box is 1.5 inches wide, then does that mean i need a 2 inch bulkhead? Or what bulkhead measure would i be getting exactly? 1" bulkhead? 2" bulkhead? I have no idea what to get for this.

Also, the return hole is an inch wide, so should i be getting a 1/2" bulkhead? I've no clue when it comes to this plumbing stuff and what bulkheads go to which holes, etc.. So any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

It depends on where you get your bulkheads from. Different ones require different hole sizes. The site should have a guide on what size hole fits which bulkhead.

It depends on where you get your bulkheads from. Different ones require different hole sizes. The site should have a guide on what size hole fits which bulkhead.

True. Also, should i get thread/thread on the bulkhead? Or should i get slip/thread so that i can just slide the standpipe in the bulkhead, and then have the thread on the other side.

Yeap. I just talked to John actually. He says i need a 1" bulkhead for the drain and a 1/2" bulkhead for the return. Perfect because the largest size hose that fits on my return pump is 1/2". :)

Yeap. I just talked to John actually. He says i need a 1" bulkhead for the drain and a 1/2" bulkhead for the return. Perfect because the largest size hose that fits on my return pump is 1/2". :)

john is a good guy hes building 4 tanks for me right now...looks like the bulkhead sizes are perfect

Archived