Jump to content

Anemone wont settle


dan2085

Recommended Posts

hey guys =]

 

my Anemone settled for a few for about 3/4 weeks but its on the move and wont settle at all =[ this morning it was facing the live rock and closed up (i actually thought it had died) i turned him round and he opened back up again but now he wont stop flipping onto the live rock, is there anything i can do to help him settle or am i best just leaving him to do his thing and keep my fingers crossed??

post-62517-1297637493_thumb.jpg

Link to comment

Something isn't right. That's why it's on the move.

 

You'll need to list pretty much everything. Age of tank, lighting, flow, water parameters..... ALL the water parameters.

 

Pic is kinda blurry. Though, it looks like it might be a carpet. Also, if it is a carpet. It looks like it's extending it's tentacles for more light. So, it may be something as simple as insufficient light.

Link to comment

i have been told its a Heteractis malu Sebae anemone, the tank is about 6 months old, 10gal river reef, lighting is standard 2 t5 with moonlight leds, i currently dont have a powerhead just the flow from the filter (was advised this would be fine)

 

i dont actually know the water parameters as i take samples to my local store who tests them for me, i will be getting a test kit soon, i do water changes every week..

Link to comment

Sebae's don't generally do well. Some have had success, most haven't. Flow from the filter just isn't enough. most nems do better with medium randomized currents, IME. Now, I've never had a Sebae, so I'm not 100% sure if this holds true for them, or not. My guess is it would.

 

If the nem isn't attached to anything it's not a good sign. However, it doesn't mean it's too late. Now, if it's not attached, move it to the top of the tank on a rock directly under the light. Turn off the filter to allow it to attach itself. Hopefully this will help. No guarantees though. I don't know much about Sebae's.

Link to comment

think i may know why he was turning to face the live rock.. i did a little shuffle of the live rock and made a cave in the middle and he is in there now so im thinking he could of been getting to much light so was turning over to get away from it...what do you think guys?

Link to comment

If you have not done so by now, you should consider placing it in the toilet. If it has been that way for more than 12 hours, especially with lights on, then you should flush it ASAP. If it does expand in the light then see if it is at all sticky or responsive to touch.

 

Low light, small tank, lack of proper water flow. From this and the look of that picture, I'd say that you can either flush it or chance it. 1 % chance that it survives, 99% chance that it dies and releases toxins in your tank that kill everything.

 

If it is a Sebae anemone, which it does look like, it will not survive in that tank and that is the bottom line. I just flushed a LTA that I know wasn't gonna cut it and it looked a lot better than that thing you posted a pic of. Even if by chance that It could have survived, the love of the clowns didn't help much.

Link to comment
If you have not done so by now, you should consider placing it in the toilet. If it has been that way for more than 12 hours, especially with lights on, then you should flush it ASAP. If it does expand in the light then see if it is at all sticky or responsive to touch.

 

Low light, small tank, lack of proper water flow. From this and the look of that picture, I'd say that you can either flush it or chance it. 1 % chance that it survives, 99% chance that it dies and releases toxins in your tank that kill everything.

 

If it is a Sebae anemone, which it does look like, it will not survive in that tank and that is the bottom line. I just flushed a LTA that I know wasn't gonna cut it and it looked a lot better than that thing you posted a pic of. Even if by chance that It could have survived, the love of the clowns didn't help much.

 

i was keeping a close eye on it over night n it didnt pick up at all so i just cut my losses be4 it could do any damage to the tank.

 

think i do need to look at upgrading the lights in the tank

 

thanks for the help n advise guys

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...