Coral Vue Hydros

The Shrimp Picture Thread

Squared

from research emperor shrimps host things with slime. (diet related I would guess) like snails,slugs, worms, sea cucs, and I pretty sure the one PJ has in his pico is hosting a coral or something.

I am happy that Emperor Shrimps are sometimes found here, they happened to be hosting Spanish Dancers

The one hosting the coral is only doing it because it has nothing else to host. Basically he doesn't know what to do. I think without the host that slimes it won't make it long.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

where are you guys getting this slime info from? as far as I know, P. imperator has the same feeding habits as most other P. species. I'd welcome some fresh info, though.

Well, other P. species such as yucatanicus, and pedersoni and a few others feed on the slime of anemones. I'm looking for something online for you but I read that in one of my books. I know that when I had imperator they appeared to eat mysis when I gave it to them but then again so did yucatanicus after it ate my tiny BTA and both didn't make it.

EDIT: Ok, I actually do remember reading that they feed in the fecal pellets of the cucumber or slug they are with too.

Here's one thing: http://www.seadb.net/en_Emperor-shrimp-Per...perator_583.htm

Looking for something about slime...

Same source I read to go along with my local ID guide

Commensal with sea cucumbers and sea slugs. Rare in Hawaii on Spanish Dancer nudibranchs. Attains 3/4 inch. Hawaii & the Indo-Pacific.

I think this Reef Central quote sums it up best.

Lacking a proper mound I doubt they would do well in captivity.

I forget where I read they might host a turbo snail maybe it was Bongo's thread :D

Well, other P. species such as yucatanicus, and pedersoni and a few others feed on the slime of anemones. I'm looking for something online for you but I read that in one of my books. I know that when I had imperator they appeared to eat mysis when I gave it to them but then again so did yucatanicus after it ate my tiny BTA and both didn't make it.

EDIT: Ok, I actually do remember reading that they feed in the fecal pellets of the cucumber or slug they are with too.

Here's one thing: http://www.seadb.net/en_Emperor-shrimp-Per...perator_583.htm

that link also says that it finds food in the sand that the cucumber has displaced. holothurians are very inefficient feeders; perhaps it's not the fecal matter itself that the shrimp are interested in, but the leftover mulm, bacterial floc, micro-organisms and detritus picked up from the sandbed by the cucumber?

hard to say. obligate feeding on 'slime' just doesn't fit the MO of the genus, though.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19jeffro83

Has anyone out there had or have a gorgonian/Saw tooth arrow shrimp?

I picked one up yesterday couldn't find any info before or after my purchase. Here he is, not a good shot but it's all I got for now. Any info would be great.

f12748ff.jpg

Bongo Shrimp
Has anyone out there had or have a gorgonian/Saw tooth arrow shrimp?

I picked one up yesterday couldn't find any info before or after my purchase. Here he is, not a good shot but it's all I got for now. Any info would be great.

f12748ff.jpg

That I believe is what Liveaquaria refers to as a Tozeuma Ghost Pipe Shrimp. I've been wanting to try one. One of the few shrimp I've never tried ;). How big is he? Does he hide?

All the info you need:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1970

19jeffro83

Thanks bongo. I got him from Greg. Thats the shrimp for sure on LA. Thy forgot to mention that it can change colors. So far all he's been doing is hiding but aparently the take to a host gorg. He's also about an 11/4 so probably maxed out size wise. Good luck in your search for one. I'm proud I have a shrimp the bongo never did. d :

Bongo Shrimp
Thanks bongo. I got him from Greg. Thats the shrimp for sure on LA. Thy forgot to mention that it can change colors. So far all he's been doing is hiding but aparently the take to a host gorg. He's also about an 11/4 so probably maxed out size wise. Good luck in your search for one. I'm proud I have a shrimp the bongo never did. d :

Oh trust me, if I wanted one that bad I could find one :happy: .

I find it neat that LA says it could act as a cleaner shrimp. Now that would be awesome!

Crappy phone picture of Majesty (bicolor psuedochromis) and Professor Meowingtons (new fire shrimp) bonding...

224784_10150605517390063_790490062_18330419_6710550_n.jpg

naturalwonders

Here is my Japanese Pistol shrimp. This one has been with me for over 2 years now. He and the goby have their own little tank with lots of macroalgea.

IMG_5046-2.jpg

Archived