Top Shelf Aquatics

The Shrimp Picture Thread

Squared

:blush: thanks Bongo, though he dosnt shake a uropod(the little tail fins) at what youve got going on!

I find that a lot of times I am still attracted to some of the more common, "classic" SW stuff like clowns, mandarins, and cleaner shrimp.

hey bongo you have a great collection of uncommon inverts, any chance you would do a write up on some of your seldom seen inverts like those emperor shrimp and some of your other cool inverts

I probably could. I did one on the Bongo Shrimp a while back. My write ups are not that scientific, more my personal observation and experience. I don't know if the emperors are the best candidate because I only had limited time to observe them.

And like I said earlier, not all the stuff in those pics I posted is/was mine.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. That red pistol is really cool.

Sponge Crab:

P1030462.jpg

FYI-A sponge crab is NOT reef safe. Learned that the hard way... :o He cut all the legs off of my serpent star and cut all my giant toadstools either in half at the stalk or in half across the cap.

what happened with the emporer shrimp? they look really cool

I really can't figure it out. Water was fine, they were eating frozen mysis, then one day one died. Then a few days later the other one disappeared. I think they need a small (tiny pico) quiet tank to themselves. I just don't think they are cut out for the community (or in my case, seahorse tank).

squirrelieygrrrl
squirrelieygrrrl, how big is your pistol?

he has got to be at least 2 1/2 inches long. though i want to say its probably closer to three.

a typical pistol isnt much more than 2 inches right?

squirrelieygrrrl

i dunno, he could be more than 3, but not by much. hard to say though really. i rarely ever see him, that photo session when i snapped that shot was the only time hes ever been visible for more than a split second.

hey bongo you have a great collection of uncommon inverts, any chance you would do a write up on some of your seldom seen inverts like those emperor shrimp and some of your other cool inverts

might want to check out Pj's pico he currently has a live emperor shrimp. pretty neat stuff

I find that a lot of times I am still attracted to some of the more common, "classic" SW stuff like clowns, mandarins, and cleaner shrimp.

I think everyone is, they get sort of watered down because of all the diversity available today even with the mandarin being specialized feeders, whereas now you can get a tank raised eating prepared foods.

Deleted User 6

pretty rare:

698379530_iJ6dh-L-2.jpg

now to business. where can i find Periclimenes sp. shrimp? LA is sold out. also, can emperor shrimp be kept without their cuc host (i'm looking at you Bongo)?

another cleaner:

697705719_Jdcem-L-2.jpg

bluezoo has them in stock, nvm.

also, can emperor shrimp be kept without their cuc host (i'm looking at you Bongo)?

I'm pretty sure they need the host. They not only eat stuff around them as the host moves but I'm pretty sure they eat the slime from the host too.

yeah that's what I thought. cool looking shrimp - expert only.

For sure. I'm not going to get them again unless I can set up a small species only tank for them. I've tried them twice already and I don't want to kill anymore.

697705719_Jdcem-L-2.jpg

^ pic is nice. it's a nice pic.

Anybody got FW shrimp to share pics of? Wanting to set up a 1G FW shrimp tank, w/ plants, instead of another shrimp for my 29.

it'd be cool if you could get a pair with their host and have some success. they really are baller looking shrimp.

Yeah, the problem is keeping the host alive. Most of the time they come in with medusa worms and I don't know about you but I sure as hell am not putting a medusa worm in my tank. I might try them with a lettuce slug if I try them again.

from research emperor shrimps host things with slime. (diet related I would guess) like snails,slugs, worms, sea cucs, and I pretty sure the one PJ has in his pico is hosting a coral or something.

I am happy that Emperor Shrimps are sometimes found here, they happened to be hosting Spanish Dancers

Archived