Pod Your Reef

The Shrimp Picture Thread

Squared

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirrelieygrrrl

i have one to add to the mix.

alpheus Bidens or if you prefer, a non-commensal pistol shrimp. its juvenile colors were much nicer, with alot of blue markings. this guy is quite large as far as pistols go, and uber aggressive. ive had this bugger for about 4 years now.

DSC03767.jpg

how do you guys take those pics of really small things and manage to make it look good?, I took a pic of a small crustacean but is so small that barely see it

well, this pic is of bad quality but that was the best I can with an iphone camera, last night after reading this thread, I try to take a pic of my pistol shrimp, but it didn't came out of her burrow, and found this crustacean/shrimp looking thing

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb5/198.../IMG_0549-1.png

is there a way to upload a video link? I actually took a video when it came out and looks better than the pic

squirrelieygrrrl

lulz.

love the paint skillz. gdly, i think most of us who take decent shots have decent cameras to go along with that. i use a sony a200 dslr, with a 70mm lens. not stellar but it gets the job done.

squirrel, I have a very similar carribean pistol, a. armatus I think it is, except it is commensal with the curly cue anemone, mine is also very aggressive, though nI can't get a great pic of him because he hides in my xenia forest

squirrel, I have a very similar carribean pistol, a. armatus I think it is, except it is commensal with the curly cue anemone, mine is also very aggressive, though nI can't get a great pic of him because he hides in my xenia forest

my first pistol was the same too...'mr snappy' because i could hear him all the time...soo aggressive it literally got in a fight with a powerhead....guess who won??

Thanks guys. That red pistol is really cool.

Sponge Crab:

P1030462.jpg

Crab Crab:

CIMG1179.jpg

Halloween Crab:

DSC_0072marked.jpg

Biggest Serpent Star EVER:

DSC_0258marked.jpg

My Little Red Serpent:

DSC_0703marked.jpg

Blue Jeans Linkia:

CIMG1048marked.jpg

Cushion Asterina Star AKA Bongo Shrimp Food:

CIMG0956.jpg

The Purple Pile:

_DSC0032.jpg

Spiny Reef Star:

CIMG0919.jpg

"Albino" Serpent Star:

DSC_0247-1.jpg

Strawberry Crab (best guess as to the name):

DSC_0229-3.jpg

Halloween Urchin:

_DSC0152.jpg

Crinoid Squat Lobster:

DSC_0075.jpg

Feather Star:

_DSC0061-2.jpg

Not Reef Safe Star:

DSC_0056.jpg

Arrow Crab:

DSC_0057-1.jpg

1" Long Baby Blue Spiny Lobster:

DSC_0033-2.jpg

Forgot the Name Star:

CIMG0685.jpg

Sand Sifting Cuke:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Nano Yellow Cukes (love these):

CIMG0521.jpg

Pink Spiny Cuke:

DSC_0017-2.jpg

Amazing Non-Reef Safe Star:

DSC_0035.jpg

Giant 1' Long Bahama Stars:

CIMG0435.jpg

CIMG0437.jpg

CIMG0438.jpg

CIMG0440.jpg

Big White Urchin:

CIMG0180.jpg

I have more but decided to split it up a bit.

Awsome pictures guys. Keep them coming.

Yoshii, I love that porcelin. I got to get me one of those.

Squirreliegrrrl, has that pistol killed anything?

And bongo, those seastars are awsome! Almost makes me sorry for keeping harlequin shirmp. Almost.

Tunicates? (forgot the name):

CIMG0205.jpg

Big Crab:

CIMG0258.jpg

Octopus:

CIMG0270.jpg

CIMG0271.jpg

Little Fiddler Crab:

CIMG0276.jpg

Colonial Tunicates:

_DSC0993.jpg

Blue Line Nudi:

DSC_0886-1.jpg

Not Reef Safe Star:

DSC_0837-1.jpg

Blue Tuxedo Urchin:

DSC_0968.jpg

Basket Star:

DSC_0739-1.jpg

Fromia Star:

SANY0179.jpg

Blue Linkia XXL:

DSC_0604.jpg

Orange Linkia:

_DSC0605.jpg

Sea Hare:

DSC_0644.jpg

Fromia Star:

DSC_0348.jpg

Big Tunicates:

SANY0150.jpg

Little Blue Stalked Tunicate:

SANY0154.jpg

Spackled Linkia:

DSC_0238-1.jpg

Big Big Crab:

DSC_0161.jpg

Shame Faced Crab:

DSC_0297.jpg

Sea Pen:

DSC_0185.jpg

BAD Isopod:

Picture1.jpg

BAD Sea Spider:

SANY0016_marked.jpg

That's all. I win again. :P

Bongo do you own all those critters?

No. I used to be the photographer for my LFS before it went out. Now I just have all the old pics on my photobucket. Some are actually super cool though like the Blue Jeans Linkia. That is one I wish I had bought.

IMG_0881.jpg

Looks like a shrimp ghost.

Nothing fancy, but:

100_4051.jpg

Feeder star

100_3854.jpg

Another harly pic

100_3985.JPG

This was from when my female harly was releasing her larval shrimp babies

supershrimpfish.jpg

Shrimp goby pic

100_3798.JPG

My deceased emerald crab

100_3804.JPG

Planaria pests

Builder Anthony

I heard crabs wont molt if the water is not good because there scared of the condition of the water.I guess things are good for you.

lulz.

love the paint skillz. gdly, i think most of us who take decent shots have decent cameras to go along with that. i use a sony a200 dslr, with a 70mm lens. not stellar but it gets the job done.

I can't afforda nice camera, my obsession with reefing is getting on my way!!! lol

BTW I got my painting skills from hanging out with my little niece lol

squirrelieygrrrl

they are so neat. im not sure what region mine was collected in. though for some reason i want to say he is an indo-pacific critter. they are so hard to photograph, that is the second pic ive managed to get in four years. i lured him out with some formula 1 pellets, cuz ive backed off on feeding a bit so i guess he was hungry.

Thanks guys. That red pistol is really cool.

:blush: thanks Bongo, though he dosnt shake a uropod(the little tail fins) at what youve got going on!

Awsome pictures guys. Keep them coming.

Yoshii, I love that porcelin. I got to get me one of those.

Squirreliegrrrl, has that pistol killed anything?

And bongo, those seastars are awsome! Almost makes me sorry for keeping harlequin shirmp. Almost.

that stinking thing is nothing but a sereal killer on a blood lust high. countless cuc, to the point that i have to replenish them monthly. also, probably at least a 7 or 8 fish death toll. i keep trying to find another fish that wont go under the rocks... so far no luck. i think the only reason the clown has survived is that he rarely leaves his duncans, and never goes under the rocks.

squirrelieygrrrl
I can't afforda nice camera, my obsession with reefing is getting on my way!!! lol

BTW I got my painting skills from hanging out with my little niece lol

:lol:

i hear that! thats why i still havnt invested in a decent macro lens. as far as the paint skills go, dont give up your day job. ;)

hey bongo you have a great collection of uncommon inverts, any chance you would do a write up on some of your seldom seen inverts like those emperor shrimp and some of your other cool inverts

Archived