inTank Media Baskets

planning 1 week trip to Europe

wamb0010

So i'm planning a trip to Europe leaving on June 3rd and return on June 10th. My Girlfriend is studying abroad and will be in luxembourg. This will be my first trip to Europe given my limited stay, I was hoping I could get some suggestions on where I should go and what I should do. I do not need to fly into luxembourg, my girlfriend could meet me somewhere else that is relatively close to luxembourg. Ideally, I would like to see 2 completely different places. Thanks

In a week you can hit like every single big city in Europe. Sleep on the train.

Nonsense.

Rome, Florence and Paris would be a good way to fill a week. The ancient sites of Rome, the Renaissance art and architecture of Florence and the chic modern Paris. Nice contrast of style and culture.

Look up Eurail passes (not sure of spelling). You can only buy them here in the States. Basically, for one fee, you can hop on and off the train as you like, so you can visit all over without paying extra. Lot of great places to visit by train, especially in a week. What's even better is it's good for things like the Rhine ferry, if you've a thing for German castles.

It's a deal that exists so tourists can get around, or so I was told way back when. I hear rumor that there's a similar deal for Europeans and airplanes here, but for the latter, it's all standby stuff.

Look up Eurail passes (not sure of spelling). You can only buy them here in the States. Basically, for one fee, you can hop on and off the train as you like, so you can visit all over without paying extra. Lot of great places to visit by train, especially in a week. What's even better is it's good for things like the Rhine ferry, if you've a thing for German castles.

It's a deal that exists so tourists can get around, or so I was told way back when. I hear rumor that there's a similar deal for Europeans and airplanes here, but for the latter, it's all standby stuff.

I did the Eurorail (www.eurail.com) last time I was in Europe. Very cool. With the rail system, pretty much anywhere you would want to go is within 6-7 hours. I think I did a three country pass, took me from Frankfurt, Germany to Amsterdam, Netherlands to Berlin, Germany and then back to Frankfurt. I already went to Paris a few years earlier so I wanted to see some other cities.

Depending on what you are interested in, I could give some suggestions. Paris, Berlin and Amsterdam were all pretty cool.

Nonsense.

Rome, Florence and Paris would be a good way to fill a week. The ancient sites of Rome, the Renaissance art and architecture of Florence and the chic modern Paris. Nice contrast of style and culture.

I did the Eurorail (www.eurail.com) last time I was in Europe. Very cool. With the rail system, pretty much anywhere you would want to go is within 6-7 hours. I think I did a three country pass, took me from Frankfurt, Germany to Amsterdam, Netherlands to Berlin, Germany and then back to Frankfurt. I already went to Paris a few years earlier so I wanted to see some other cities.

Depending on what you are interested in, I could give some suggestions. Paris, Berlin and Amsterdam were all pretty cool.

Thanks everyone. if I did Rome/Florence/Paris would there be an overnight train that would take me to Paris? I could just wake up and be there.

Thanks everyone. if I did Rome/Florence/Paris would there be an overnight train that would take me to Paris? I could just wake up and be there.

There might be, when I bought my train pass in the US, they could have been used on any train to one of the counties I selected. They sent me a large book that had the schedule of all the trains. I can't remember if this was available to me before I purchased the pass (I'm pretty sure it was) but you can probably find it on the website I listed above. I used this company in 2007 so I'm not familiar with exactly how things are now.

Archived