ReefCleaners.org

Help with Bio filter cartridge on Bio Cube 29 ** Updated **

Silo

Hi, I'm new here and was very pleased to find this forum.

It's a great resource.

I've been around reef aquariums for a long time, but this is

my first Nano.

I just got a new 29g Bio Cube and trying to put it together.

The instructions say "make sure the cartridge is properly inserted:

However in this tank there is nothing that it "fits" into to hold it in place.

Looking ant the water flow, it will just get pushed away from where they

show it should go.

It has a rail / groove running down the black tank back next to the

overflow slots, but none on the opposite side.

Is there something missing?

I'll most likely get rid of it to put a skimmer in chamber 1, but would

like to know that I'm not being obtuse :)

Thanks in advance.

Roald.

You don't need a "bio filter" cartridge. Live rock and sand are better biological filters. Go to the all-in-one tank forum, and read the biocube resource thread for this and other modifications that will make your tank better.

You don't need a "bio filter" cartridge. Live rock and sand are better biological filters. Go to the all-in-one tank forum, and read the biocube resource thread for this and other modifications that will make your tank better.

Thanks for the reply :happy:

Well it's not the "Bio filter" its the mechanical one thats supposed to remove debris from the water.

I have been "living" on the all-in-one forum for 2 days now and have found most of the tricks

for the BC29 it's a great resource.

I found a pic that shows what should be in the compartment. The filter track is indeed missing.

Heres a pic of the missing part.

missingfiltertrack.jpg

You don't need the cartridge....and at 3 bucks or so a pop its going to get expensive.Either put some floss in there or get one of these:

http://www.mediabaskets.com/installation.html

Then if you want you can also add a skimmer and end up with a MUCH better filtration system than that lame cartridge. ;)

+1 filter floss is awesome does wonders.

I'm running media basket with filter/purigen/chemipure and i my water is great

You don't need the cartridge....and at 3 bucks or so a pop its going to get expensive.Either put some floss in there or get one of these:

http://www.mediabaskets.com/installation.html

Then if you want you can also add a skimmer and end up with a MUCH better filtration system than that lame cartridge. ;)

Thank you very much for that link. They have exactly what I need. :happy: You Da Man!

I'd love a media basket thats the size of the whole of chamber 2 with three racks.

I intend putting a skimmer in chamber 1.

I'm not into the fuge, too small to be of significant impact. Besides the frequency

of the water changes in a Nano, good media and a skimmer should take care of most ailments.

Thanks again,

Roald.

+1 filter floss is awesome does wonders.

I'm running media basket with filter/purigen/chemipure and i my water is great

Yes, with that media rack, floss would be perfect.

Thanks very much.

That mediabasket is very good, I decided the same thing about the fuge in a BC29. The tunze 9002 is a great skimmer that fits right next to the media basket in chamber two. You need the skimmer cup from that same site but it works perfectly. I have a heater in chamber one. There's some picture of the rear chambers in my tank thread located in my sig.

If you want the skimmer in chamber one, then the aquaticlife 115 is pretty much the only option.

+1 on Aquatic Life. I added that skimmer to chamber 1 and its working very well. Still fine tuning operation to reduce skimmate but thus far I am pulling about 1/3 cup 2x week of greenish brown water. Very happy. I have no technical knowledge on this but I would argue that chamber 2 is more than big enough for a whole bunch of macro. I used the Coralife mini T5 light box (50 bucks) that comes with a really nice stick on mounting system and scraped off the paint on the back of chamber 2 to position the light on the back. One thing to note, cheato sinks so be sure your light is near the bottom of whatever system your using to hold the cheato in place. I decided that paying to replace chemipure was not the way I wanted to go and thus far (2+ months) the cheato with skimmer (more recent) is holding the tank very very well. Just 2c on macro additions. My Cheato is getting pretty big and has LOTS o room to grow. There are cheaper ways to light the system but for 50 bucks its a great light and mounting is trivial and VERY CLEAN looking.

You should be happy that piece is missing, mine was a PITA to pull off as I had excess silicone on it and it must come out to get skimmer in. By the way, the skimmer fits pretty easily but just barely, adjusting it requires that you remove the top since the adjustment knob sits under the fixed part of the top so even if you use a piece of tubing over the top of the adjustment knob and trim it to the height of the collection cup I still cannot get my big hands into the tiny opening and adjust it. (you should add the tubing as it makes the adjustment super easy, just get a piece of tubing (the same size as is on the stock pump) and push one end over the knob and trim the other to height).

I just spoke to Nick at Central Aquatics about my missing filter cartridge rail.

Here is his response.

Roald,

Running the filter cartridge on TOP of the bio balls “white side up” is a better placement for the filter anyway.

When people run the bio cube protein skimmer, they are forced to place the filter on top of the bio balls – and it works perfectly!

Instead of breaking down the tank, and returning it to me under warranty, I would like to offer you a free bio cube protein skimmer art no charge to use in the chamber with the missing guide rails. This way you can keep your tank and run it with the skimmer.

I’ll ship it to you today upon your “ok.”

Thank You,

Nick Sranske

Central Aquatics

Product Warranty Lead

nsranske@central-aquatics.com

Phone: 888-255-4527 Ext. 2268

Now thats what I call great customer service :D

Thanks for the reply :happy:

Well it's not the "Bio filter" its the mechanical one thats supposed to remove debris from the water.

I have been "living" on the all-in-one forum for 2 days now and have found most of the tricks

for the BC29 it's a great resource.

I found a pic that shows what should be in the compartment. The filter track is indeed missing.

Heres a pic of the missing part.

missingfiltertrack.jpg

Roald,

I think you got confused of the stock filter slot because the diagram in the instruction shows the filter slotted right behind the backflow screen instead of infront of the overflow b/w chamber 1 and 2. I have the same problem when I received my BC29.

It's great that you get a BC skimmer for this although, mostly likely, you will upgrade. I did. Cheers. AIdan

I just spoke to Nick at Central Aquatics about my missing filter cartridge rail.

Here is his response.

Roald,

Running the filter cartridge on TOP of the bio balls “white side up” is a better placement for the filter anyway.

When people run the bio cube protein skimmer, they are forced to place the filter on top of the bio balls – and it works perfectly!

Instead of breaking down the tank, and returning it to me under warranty, I would like to offer you a free bio cube protein skimmer art no charge to use in the chamber with the missing guide rails. This way you can keep your tank and run it with the skimmer.

I’ll ship it to you today upon your “ok.”

Thank You,

Nick Sranske

Central Aquatics

Product Warranty Lead

nsranske@central-aquatics.com

Phone: 888-255-4527 Ext. 2268

Now thats what I call great customer service :D

Take the free skimmer but please check out this short thread and if it peaks your interest read the included links...hope this helps!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=bioballs

Roald,

I think you got confused of the stock filter slot because the diagram in the instruction shows the filter slotted right behind the backflow screen instead of infront of the overflow b/w chamber 1 and 2. I have the same problem when I received my BC29.

It's great that you get a BC skimmer for this although, mostly likely, you will upgrade. I did. Cheers. AIdan

No I'm not confused, the part circled in yellow is mising from my tank, the pic is not of my tank.

Anyhow it does not matter. I'll not use the filter cart any way.

the free skimmer was a nice suprise though :happy:

Take the free skimmer but please check out this short thread and if it peaks your interest read the included links...hope this helps!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=bioballs

Thanks man, I've read almost the whole forum already :happy:

Lots of good info about the BC's here.

Up untill '06 a ran a 80gal reef for many years, a contracting job got me out of the hobby.

I was never home to take care of the aquarium...

I'm looking forward to this. I've never tried a small tank like this before. :D

Thanks man, I've read almost the whole forum already :happy:

Lots of good info about the BC's here.

Up untill '06 a ran a 80gal reef for many years, a contracting job got me out of the hobby.

I was never home to take care of the aquarium...

I'm looking forward to this. I've never tried a small tank like this before. :D

IMO take the skimmer if that's what they are offering, don't even take it out of the box and sell it. Use the proceeds to help with either/or the media basket I mentioned and a skimmer that actually works. The BC skimmer is about as useful as a plain air stone.

IMO take the skimmer if that's what they are offering, don't even take it out of the box and sell it. Use the proceeds to help with either/or the media basket I mentioned and a skimmer that actually works. The BC skimmer is about as useful as a plain air stone.

Agreed. I am ordering both the fuge and media baskets this weekend.

I'm also upgrading the pump to a MJ1200 and adding a Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector

at the same time. Before the tanks done cycling, it'll be good to go.

Agreed. I am ordering both the fuge and media baskets this weekend.

I'm also upgrading the pump to a MJ1200 and adding a Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector

at the same time. Before the tanks done cycling, it'll be good to go.

Sounds like a plan!

Sounds like a plan!

I changed my mind on the pump, the 6HF runs cooler.

here's my shopping list.... now I'm broke :D

Items

Qty Item # Description Price Each Total

1 BC29FG Biocube 29 Fuge Basket $25.99 $25.99

1 BC29MR Biocube 29 Media Basket $48.00 $48.00

1 NM1 NanoMag Magnetic Cleaner $10.99 $10.99

1 TI00773 Rio 6HF HyperFlow Pump $26.99 $26.99

1 HY00047 Hydor Rotating Water Deflector $13.99 $13.99

1 HY00035 Hydor Theo 100 Watt Heater $22.99 $22.99

Archived