Cultivated Reef

"Enteromorpha" care?

carbon-mantis

carbon-mantis

I've spotted "Enteromorpha" algae popping up with a few ebay sellers recently, and was wondering, are the care requirements any different from the other Ulva species?

carbon-mantis

Bumpidy-bump. I suppose it's not all that different, but wanted an opinion from someone whose kept it before I bothered with any.

It depends on the species. Most enteromorpha species are now being reclassified as ulva species, so it gets even more confusing. What species? Does it have a holdfast? Enteromorpha intestinalis and species like it require their holdfast to remain intact for long term success in aquaria. They don't hold their form like chaeto if left in tumble and will be a nuisance. If they are growing from a holdfast, just make sure to give them plenty of flow and they should be okay. They tend to prefer cooler water, something to keep in mind if you grow it for food, as you will likely get better results that way.

carbon-mantis
It depends on the species. Most enteromorpha species are now being reclassified as ulva species, so it gets even more confusing. What species? Does it have a holdfast? Enteromorpha intestinalis and species like it require their holdfast to remain intact for long term success in aquaria. They don't hold their form like chaeto if left in tumble and will be a nuisance. If they are growing from a holdfast, just make sure to give them plenty of flow and they should be okay. They tend to prefer cooler water, something to keep in mind if you grow it for food, as you will likely get better results that way.

Thanks for the info. Apparently it was already sold, but I remember the auction saying that it was just cuttings.

When you say "cooler water", how cool approximately?

enteromorpha intestinalis (now ulva intestinalis, also E. flexuosa is now U. flexuoso or flexuosa, I dont know how to spell it lol...)loses growth rate in the spring months up until May, then ulva outcompetes it for space as the water reaches mid and upper 70s. then they all die back when the herbivores and dead heats and still water of late august come through, and then enteromorpha intestinalis (and flexuosa, I am sorry I am just using two species but they are the only ones I have any experience in and I think they are more likely to be the ones in captivity, they are more common, larger etc...) makes a come back in october and fall, (it loves rough turbulent water and there is a lot of that around then), and it blooms until the spring months etc..but once the water starts to warm its growth slows considerably, (the water is still rough though), and then "regular" ulva spp. dominate the same area. If you were growing it for food for fish, I would try in the lower 70s with rough water and try to grow it in turf scrubber like system. I bet you would get good results that way. Other things happen in the early spring though that may cause it, light penetration is better now, so maybe that is the reason. I dont think so though...

^ good luck deciphering that mess, pizza just arrived and I have no time for editing now :)

Archived