Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cycling Temp

CLDCOM

Greetings everyone,

After much reading on this website my son and I fnally set up our BC29 today. We purchased live sand (Carib Sea) and about 30 pounds of really nice (covered with purple color) cured live rock from our LFS as well as the saltwater. My question is, we forgot to buy a heater and the store was closed by the time we remembered. The tank has been cycling for about 4 hours now and the water temp is holding steady at about 72 degrees. Will this cause any damage to the love rock or the cycling process until we can get a heater tomm and bring the temp up to about 78 degrees?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and wish us luck!

Greetings everyone,

After much reading on this website my son and I fnally set up our BC29 today. We purchased live sand (Carib Sea) and about 30 pounds of really nice (covered with purple color) cured live rock from our LFS as well as the saltwater. My question is, we forgot to buy a heater and the store was closed by the time we remembered. The tank has been cycling for about 4 hours now and the water temp is holding steady at about 72 degrees. Will this cause any damage to the love rock or the cycling process until we can get a heater tomm and bring the temp up to about 78 degrees?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and wish us luck!

I always think it's wonderful when father and son share hobbies. The temperature can indeed kill some life on the rock, but not at 72. When you start getting to the 60's, I would start worrying. Just keep the house temperature in the 70's and you won't have a problem. Tomorrow you can go ahead and buy a heater.

I always think it's wonderful when father and son share hobbies. The temperature can indeed kill some life on the rock, but not at 72. When you start getting to the 60's, I would start worrying. Just keep the house temperature in the 70's and you won't have a problem. Tomorrow you can go ahead and buy a heater.

The temp reached 52 overnight here. No heater in the house so the tank temp is right around 69-70 now. LFS does not open for another 3 hours. If there is some life on the rocks that has been killed due to the water temp, should I buy another small peice of live rock when I buy the heater to compensate for what may have been killed? Thank you very much for the help.

When my tank cycled the heater I had malfuctioned, and it was 62 degrees in my tank overnight, I didn't had too much die off...

Yes, you might just have more die off which will create a longer cycle but you are fine.

Ok thank you. Just to know what to look for, what would the signs of "die off" be/look like? That way I know it is that if I see something strange going on. Thanks again.

Archived