Top Shelf Aquatics

Harlequin shrimp

danthenewreefman

people with first hand experience:

Do you think harlys get more active when hungry?

I think so because they tend to just chill in their corner and then wander around at night looking for starfish.

danthenewreefman

Thanks -- I ask because she was going around everywhere before I gave her a second starfish. Since then she has been way less active, but still wonders around a little.

I'm trying to see if she'll kinda let me know when it's time to eat. I'mma wait a few more days to feed her again see if she gets all active and that's when I'll drop her a meal.

Thanks -- I ask because she was going around everywhere before I gave her a second starfish. Since then she has been way less active, but still wonders around a little.

I'm trying to see if she'll kinda let me know when it's time to eat. I'mma wait a few more days to feed her again see if she gets all active and that's when I'll drop her a meal.

I'd have more info for you if my female was still alive. I was doing exactly what you are, trying to get into a feeding regiment. All my male does now is hide and it's kinda sad to see. Make sure your powerhead is up really high! Mine was what I considered high but I guess not quite high enough. It's also a vortech on full power so that may be why also. :mellow:

danthenewreefman

flow is just modded HOB -- probably only 100gph and that big intake. I really doubt I"ll have a problem that....hopefully!

yeah I read that that happened to you. I tried to read eveyrthing I could about them on here before getting one. I'd been looking for a long while.

Just got a friend with a old FO 90g to supply me with starfish too, he said I can have all I want! and he has like 5000+. kinda tank you look at and see them everywhere on the glass, he has no CUC so they're it.

She seems happy and bioload seems just perfect for the 5.5 by herself.

are those Asterina stars found in all the oceans?

also is there a frozen fish food company that sells frozen starfish? I would think there would be?

I was also thinking about having maybe 5-6 live linckia starfish (maybe more lol) in the same tank, would the shrimp single out one until it is 100% eaten or will it only eat the arm off one at a time and have a regenerate cycle on all 6?

danthenewreefman
are those atrena stars found in all the oceans?

also is there a frozen fish food company that sells frozen starfish? I would think there would be?

problem would be that they only eat live starfish! I wish reefcleaners had them! But that would make it too easy.

probably I don't think I will try frozen after searching on google that the frozen starfish lose their "nutrition" quite fast and someone tried and the shrimp died. must have gone nutritionally void.

but I still like the idea of helmet urchins and 6 live starfish in same tank, unless they gorge on them :eek:

but I read that linckia are hard to keep so I might just try urchins and if I fail it is 1 linckia 2 weeks to a month possibly 1 extra in the back chambers

danthenewreefman

I had a BIG dwarf blue leg hermit in there with her... but she got scared and dropped her first meal when it approached...

So i took the hermit out. But now I got hair algae issues in the tank! Not really issues...but it's there. The hermit was keeping it 100% gone by himself.

Do you think the hermit is any threat to my harley? Probably half her size. I'd like to throw the hermit back in but I'm scared.

dwarf hermit right, usually adult size is smaller than 1 inch right?

I have the same question I wanted 4-5 dwarf zebra hermits, do they pose a threat to the Harlequins?

It is easy to forget that the adult size of the harlequin shrimp is usually 1-2 inches or less therefore a reef safe hermit might not be shrimp safe? I have always read that hermit crabs can be mischievous and Shannengins and such

Archived