Cultivated Reef

Chalice question

ucbearcats

I don't remember if mine did or not when I fragged mine. My initial frag was only about 3/4", but hair algae got on it and it receeded more and more until it was less than 1/2". All I could save was about 1/4" or less. It was tiny. I don't think it had an eye, but I could be wrong. Now it's back to 1.5" with 4 eyes. Truth be told, I don't think it had an eye because I didn't feed it until I saw growth and a definite eye. Good luck!

I would think it would be similar to rics and acans in that it can grow and survive, but the chances of surviving will be lowered and also growth will be slower. I can't really substantiate this though.

All the fragging sites Ive read say you have to have an eye. But feel free to give it a whirl and see what happens. Your loss.

The reason I ask is because my dad is switching tanks and if in the process he was to break a piece off one of his chalice I was going to put it in my tank...

i was able to acquire a little bubble gum frag that broke off a colony a while ago. it had absolutely no eyes, but it still lived. it didn't grow much at all lol and i have no idea what happened to it. it looked healthy though.

Worst case scenario it dies and you lost $0 on a frag you had lying around anyhow.

Yea I realized that as I was typing the response haha, but I guess at this point I am just curious if people have had success.

Thank You

Archived