Cultivated Reef

HecticDialectic's ADA 10G

HecticDialectics

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HecticDialectics

I only have 16-17 gallons of water with 2 fish, and I have an extra 6 or 8 pounds of live rock in my sump, so I think the bioload and water volume are just on the low side for constant production by the SWC 120. I think it'd work great in tanks with 25+ gallons of water and another fish or two. It's super quiet. I can't hear it at all sitting four or five feet away from my tank.

You can see how I run it pretty dry by the gunk at the top of the neck. In order for the neck to stay semi-clean, it produces about three times as much light colored tea. I'd rather just wipe out the grunge every week or two than take out excess water. I've tried adjusting inbetween and it just won't work. I'm positive it's because of water volume and bioload, tho. Otherwise skimmer's great.

HecticDialectics
My 160 acted in a similar way... either too dry or too wet. After a few months it finally skimmed the way I wanted it to.

Cool. I'll def. just leave it running and keep swiping out the grunge in the neck. Like I said before, can't complain, water params showing 0 across the board on salifert kits with very little algae growth.

I haven't cleaned the glass in five or six weeks (since the last time I posted a FTS). Does it look dirty? :lol: About twice as much coralline as five or six weeks ago too.

08152011.jpg

HecticDialectics
What skimmer do you has? I am looking to get one soon for my sump.

What up wit it Hectic dawg???

lol not much up wit it, I guess.

I have a SWC 120... as is discussed quite frequently over the past few pages.

HecticDialectics

Thanks y'all! I expected to be able to go a week or two without noticeable algae on the glass... 4 weeks really surprised me lol A light haze at 4-5 weeks is pretty awesome.

But, srsly... Houston.

C'mon.

Yeah I'm well aware of how much this city sucks lol. If I'm lucky I'll snag a job in Austin.

• 3 weeks later...
HecticDialectics

Guess I'll post an update here too lol

Tank092011.jpg

Cool. I'll def. just leave it running and keep swiping out the grunge in the neck. Like I said before, can't complain, water params showing 0 across the board on salifert kits with very little algae growth.

I haven't cleaned the glass in five or six weeks (since the last time I posted a FTS). Does it look dirty? :lol: About twice as much coralline as five or six weeks ago too.

08152011.jpg

Coralline growth over the course of a month sucks

Archived