Top Shelf Aquatics

HecticDialectic's ADA 10G

HecticDialectics

NewZealandReefie

Love the duncans!

Interesting scape, I particularly like the angle of the right hand side.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LogansRunRx
...None of the LFS around here have decent livestock selections. The two better stores are both undergoing recent moves so their stock is non-existent.

just curious who you dub the "better stores"?

i'll agree... most of the LFS round here have much to be desired.

there's a few diamonds in the rough, though... and my biggest frustration is that each store seem to be good at one thing... so i spend too much time driving around Houston. it's like a stinking scavenger hunt.

HecticDialectics

Thanks everyone!

just curious who you dub the "better stores"?

i'll agree... most of the LFS round here have much to be desired.

there's a few diamonds in the rough, though... and my biggest frustration is that each store seem to be good at one thing... so i spend too much time driving around Houston. it's like a stinking scavenger hunt.

I couldn't say one store was my favorite, precisely because what you just said: each of the stores seems to be good at one thing and then suck hardcore at others. Like City Pets, they have a huge coral selection, but the SPS tank is always half RTN'd. They have a better fish selection than most other places. As long as you clean, inspect, and dip your coral I'd say they come out on top from the stores I've visited. Then there's Fish Gallery, which had an ok fish selection but a crap coral selection, we'll see how the new store goes. They're taking their time stocking it. I tried to go maybe two weeks ago and the new store had just about zero saltwater livestock. All About Fish over off 45 has a sweet SPS selection but the LPS and fish selection leaves much to be desired. T&T Fish off Hwy 6 just moved too, but even before the move they were just ok in the fish arena and I don't recall much coral. I'm located a few minutes from downtown so much further from Beltway 8 is about where I draw my line lol.

I still need to hit FJW and Aquarium World. I tried to go to FJW a week ago but the address just led me to an extremely shady shopping center with no sort of aquarium sign anywhere, so I drove off. Gotta find out what's up with that lol

dude fjw is in that diamond in the rough catagory. lol. the owners name is dennis he's a good guy. i've dealt with him before and we get along well he is good about ordering stuff your looking for. don't bother making the drive out to aquarium world with out calling ahead always ask when thier last shipment was or when they are expecting it. so you don't go over there for a bunch of nothing. its happened to me a few times and i'm in clear lake. i was f*cking pissed i drove across the city for nothing. damn you'd think i don't want to sell anyone corals giving advice on all the other businesses. ehh if you want anything i got feel free to drop me a line and you can come visit my tank lol alot of locals like my set up. i think its ok. i need to order more stuff.

HecticDialectics

So that address for FJW off Magnum is correct? :lol: What's their sign say? I was afraid to get out of my car and ask anyone.

I don't know if he has a sign up yet it was a liquor store before but he took that sign down. you go east bound on mangum and go till it takes a left, yes the damn street actually turns left go down a ways and its in an old shopping center with a laundymat next door.

Thanks y'all!

I'm loving the MH. I just installed my chiller today. Tank is now rock solid at 78 degrees.

016.jpg

New coral :P

I'm pretty sure I'm going to swap the candy cane and the duncan's position. The duncan will go well on the flat surface and add some movement, which will also get it out of the flow more. And the spread of the candy cane will go a lot better on the left rock.

Looks Great HD!

LogansRunRx
...I still need to hit FJW and Aquarium World. I tried to go to FJW a week ago but the address just led me to an extremely shady shopping center with no sort of aquarium sign anywhere, so I drove off. Gotta find out what's up with that lol

ha!

yep... you found it!

just like gabe_j illuded to... fjw IS the liquor store :lol:

the fish stuff is in the back. and dennis is a stand-up guy. he'll order what ever you want. although i've not gotten into sps, dennis has great prices on ORA stuff (coral and livestock).

i buy food at Aquarium World... that's about it.

huge store. more freshwater than saltwater.

crap coral and WAY over priced.... typically all bleached and melting.

good deals on livestock and good selection of fish.

where did T&T move to???

i like those guys, haven't been out there in awhile.

i'll also throw kudos to AAF... Kevin's a stand up guy too.

oh well, i was hoping for a revelation, but... the scavenger hunt will continue.

oh, yeah... love the tank. looking great!

you're inspiring me to re-bouble my efforts and devote some much needed tlc to my tanks.

cheers...

HecticDialectics
Great choice in lighting HD.

Looks Great HD!

Thanks y'all!

I don't know if he has a sign up yet it was a liquor store before but he took that sign down. you go east bound on mangum and go till it takes a left, yes the damn street actually turns left go down a ways and its in an old shopping center with a laundymat next door.

ha!

yep... you found it!

just like gabe_j illuded to... fjw IS the liquor store :lol:

the fish stuff is in the back. and dennis is a stand-up guy. he'll order what ever you want. although i've not gotten into sps, dennis has great prices on ORA stuff (coral and livestock).

:lol: Yeah I drove past the laundromat and the liquor store no less than two times, and stared intently into both windows as I drove 3mph. I'm pretty sure the Mexican lady at the laundromat thought I was about to start shooting. I reckon I'll give it another try later this week.

i buy food at Aquarium World... that's about it.

huge store. more freshwater than saltwater.

crap coral and WAY over priced.... typically all bleached and melting.

good deals on livestock and good selection of fish.

where did T&T move to???

i like those guys, haven't been out there in awhile.

i'll also throw kudos to AAF... Kevin's a stand up guy too.

oh well, i was hoping for a revelation, but... the scavenger hunt will continue.

oh, yeah... love the tank. looking great!

you're inspiring me to re-bouble my efforts and devote some much needed tlc to my tanks.

cheers...

T&T moved further down Hwy 6 to Hwy 6 & Bissonet, intersection, southwest corner. They're right by a gun store now. Pretty cool. Two birds with one stone. :lol:

• 1 month later...
el fabuloso
Coralline algae is starting to grow on my glass. I guess it's time for a first cleaning. -_-

Pics or it didn't happen.

HecticDialectics

I'll snap one tonight :X

It won't look much different than my last fts shot, just a hair more growth on the candy cane and duncan. I haven't added any sps yet.

HecticDialectics

Didn't get around to cleaning last night. Maybe tonight, lol

it looks awesome man. any pics of the plumbing and the sump in action?

Herbie.jpg

The sump is pretty boring...

My last remaining sexy shrimp has taken to living in my overflow box.

HecticDialectics
016.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm going to swap the candy cane and the duncan's position. ...

6 weeks since set-up

FullTank07022011.jpg

Duncan07022011.jpg

CandyCane07022011.jpg

Hard to see the growth on the duncan, but the smaller heads are almost twice as big as they were 6 weeks ago. The candy cane is more obvious, you can see the larger separation between the splitting heads.

I need to write down the camera settings I use on the FTS so I get more consistent color between pics. -_-

Also need to buy some more coral. :P

Archived