T5 vs. LED for blue & actinic

Undertheradar

Undertheradar

Not a whole lot of info out there on T5HO efficiencies for the actinic (410-420nm) through royal blue (440-450nm) and blue (460nm) types. So Im wondering, what are the best blue and actinic led's out there, and how do they compare with T5HO bulbs for blue & actinic?

Has anyone swapped out an equal wattage of T5's in actinic and blue for LED's and seen a better or worse result? I remember for a while, T5's still had a slight edge in this area, but this may no longer be true, in which case Ill make my new lighting all LED.

I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt that royal blue Cree or Luxeon LEDs will, in terms of efficiency, blow the doors off of T5HO.

I ran 8 Cree XRE royals over my 25g (so about 24-30 watts) and they put out considerably more powerful light than my Nova Extreme's two ATI Blue+. Driven at about 960mA. I used to flip the whites and blues on the Nova Extreme on and off, just watching to see what it looked like with the LEDs on and off.

The T5's never came close. If I had better reflectors on the T5, things may have been a bit different.

The T5 gave a better light spread, but the LEDs were by far more potent. At about half the wattage.

Undertheradar
I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt that royal blue Cree or Luxeon LEDs will, in terms of efficiency, blow the doors off of T5HO.

I ran 8 Cree XRE royals over my 25g (so about 24-30 watts) and they put out considerably more powerful light than my Nova Extreme's two ATI Blue+. Driven at about 960mA. I used to flip the whites and blues on the Nova Extreme on and off, just watching to see what it looked like with the LEDs on and off.

The T5's never came close. If I had better reflectors on the T5, things may have been a bit different.

The T5 gave a better light spread, but the LEDs were by far more potent. At about half the wattage.

Can you give me more details about the T5's... what wattage bulbs, which bulbs, how old, and what reflectors? Then I can make a better comparison. You mention that the spread of the T5's is better.... so... hmmm... sort of a draw. Then again, the newer LED's than the XR-E's might poind the point home for LED anyways then (Are the XP-E's the highest output/watt?)

for royal blues the xp-e is the most powerful right now.

t5s produce a wider spectrum than colored leds and are available in lower wavelengths than leds are commonly available.

Archived