Sea Cucumber Question

p-daddy

So I just picked up a banana yellow cucumber from Reef Gardener. In shipping it eviscerated itself, expelling a large mass of internal organs. This is not a toxic variety, but I'vd been reading conflicting reports about their odds of survival upon evisceration. Apparently without a gut they will starve. In the wild it is possible for them to regenete it, but apparently it is rare in the home aquarium.

What would you do? Could this be a ticking time bomb in my tank? I'm acclimating literally right now, may not add if it's already doomed.

CoralWhisperer

Curious myself, and Ive read only the same info you stated.

There might be "only one way to find out" . . .

Eta- ReefGoddess seems like a good person to deal with, have you spoken to her about it yet? Shed be the first person Id ask about it, especially since it came from her . . .

CoralWhisperer
Morgan is good to deal with, but it's getting late here on the east coast. Sending a email now, but probably too late for a response.

She always up late and posting on here.

Im on west coast and PM with her around midnight(my time) all the time.

You need to talk to her.

I have complete faith she will know what to do, or make it right.

She always up late and posting on here.

Im on west coast and PM with her around midnight(my time) all the time.

You need to talk to her.

I have complete faith she will know what to do, or make it right.

Just emailed her, the cucumber was like $7 I think, I'm not interested in being compensated. She already did more in freebie frags. I just feel bad potentially neglecting or destroying an animal with a shot at living. At the same time I've got some serious cash invested in the system it would go in, and not really trying to even do minor harm, right now water quality is probably the best I've ever had it dialed in.

CoralWhisperer

Well, cost of the cucuber aside, you want to know if its gonna foul your tank if added . . . so thats how you find out.

Let us know what she says, Ive always wondered about it myself.

I like cucumbers, but there are so many "what ifs" involved . . .

To report back in, Morgan advised me not to add the cuke. I kept it in a specimen container in the tank to keep the temperature regulated. It did not survive th night. Probably will be my last foray into cucumbers.

Archived