Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ecotech Marine (Vortech Makers) Customer Service

LPS-Crazy

In all my years of ordering aquarium hardware ive never had this kind of issue.

From my own experience.

Marineland Acrylic Sump: $250 - Recieved cracked - Called Marineland, received a replacment next day air. Not holding my credit card. They didnt even want the old one back. Pictures and proof of purchase where good enough.

Marineland skimmer - $200 - Pump Went out - Called Marineland, they sent me a whole new skimmer. Proof of original purchase is all they wanted. This was a bonus since I really just needed a new pump. No holding my credit card.

Current USA light fixture - $325 - End plastics came damaged - Called Current USA, they sent me out a new fixture ASAP with a prepayed return for the old fixture. No holding my credit card.

28G Nano Cube - $450 - Back wall came loose from the tank - Called JBJ, They sent me out a new tank, proof of purchase is all they asked for, didnt even want pictures. Next Day Air from California, I can imagine what that cost them. Again no need to hold my CC.

Is this kind of service to much to expect from a company when apparently it is the practice of others ?

Seriously is expecting a company to make a purchase right that big of a deal ?

Well to get my mp10 sent out asap without having to wait for my old unit to be received by them, I was directed (as an option) to buy another from heir own site, and when they received my old unit then they would refund me. This is the first retailer to have ever done this to me. They made me send pics, and then do that process so they can "avoid being cheated" ..... They must get cheated a lot on their high margin items. I went ahead and paid up on the site to get a new one as the low flow wasn't doing good hints for my tank.

They were very willing to warranty the product, but very suspicious at the same time. I think i had to call them and remind them to email me a shipping label to return the old unit...

I deal with RMA and returning product constantly and this is mandatory and standard operation for all companies. Otherwise they would just be giving away products all the time. I have 2 MP10w pumps and they are awesome. I have never had to call customer service but everything I have heard tells me I would have a good experience.

Expecting them to send you a product for free is just ignorant. Sorry.

What you've run into here is a return policy. They'll gladly do everything you asked, within a certain set of limits. Every company has limits to their return policies - some are more lenient than others. Companies like LL Bean or Coleman, for example, have been known over the years to pretty much take anything back at any time. Others, like Target or Wal-Mart, ask for your firstborn child and will actually limit how many returns you can make.

Take cars, for example. Most manufacturers offer 3-year, 30,000 mile warranties. Some are longer. Some have warranties that cover certain parts (like the powertrain) and not others. Does that mean that some companies care more about their customers than others? Can you really say that Honda cares more about its customers than Ford does because its warranty is longer (or vice versa)? Does it really mean one cares more about its profits than the other? NO. It's simply a business decision.

Now if a company had a specific policy and went AGAINST it, or wouldn't honor it for YOU, you'd have a point, and that would definitely be a customer service issue. This isn't. And it has nothing to do with their eagerness to perform oral sex on equine farm animals.

fishez4alivin

This is just an unfortunate situation...you were misinformed, and because of it, you will choose to not receive the benefits of the pump, or the solid support from the company. That sucks, because if you can just let it go, you will be happy with their product. What they offered you was the quickest way to get your pump up and running. They just started offering this the past year, before, you would have to send it in, repair...usually one day turn around, then they shipped back using UPS ground. This would take at least 10 business days, and all the time you are without a pump. Now, you can get the authorization number, go into the special part of their site, and order part..ie major items like dry sides and drivers pay for them, and you cut your down time by half. And from what you feel, is bad business on their part, is paying the deposit for item, until they receive your broken one. To me that is as good as it gets.

the consensus is you're in the wrong, yet you act like youre in the right. Get over yourself, dude.

I just hope you are not over the age of 15...because you present yourself as having the mentality of a pre-teen.

Frankly, you're embarrassing yourself in what is easily one of the lamest threads I've seen in YEARS of daily lurking. I'm actually looking how to block your future postings...it's that off-base, whiny and annoying.

+1 freaking lmfao!

I deal with RMA and returning product constantly and this is mandatory and standard operation for all companies. Otherwise they would just be giving away products all the time. I have 2 MP10w pumps and they are awesome. I have never had to call customer service but everything I have heard tells me I would have a good experience.

Expecting them to send you a product for free is just ignorant. Sorry.

For you to say that all companies have the policy is wrong...I have proven that is isnt with what I said a few posts up. It is up to this company to make a return such a pain.

Mods, Lock thread....

Point taken, people arnt being open to the real issue here. "As good as it gets" is a company not thinking they are God and have a premium return policy for their premium priced product.

I for one was happy because I did receive a discount from Foster and Smith for my troubles and expressed my feelings and experience to a retailer that im sure makes up a good chunk of sales for Ecotech.

Thread Closed.

Awww somebody is mad that people are not agreeing with him....

Blame the return policy on past buyers that screwed them over. This company is not as big as you think they are.

Fun facts:

Ecotech's 2009 revenue (not profit, revenue): $3.8 million

Employees: 15

To put that in perspective, a big box department store can do $3.8 million in sales on a really busy holiday shopping weekend.

And, at roughly $300 per product, that's about 12,500 Vortech pumps per year, or 34 per day.

This company is not as big as you think they are.

The mods may indeed lock this thread as you requested, but EcoTech is not the big, bad, evil business you're making them out to be.

• 1 month later...

yeah ummm...i dont think they are anything like Microsoft. I think most people that have their product LOVE THEM and i have heard only great things about their customer service. So pretty much a fail on the whole Microsoft comparison. And the others are right, no company is just going to send out a product worth $400 on good faith, sorry. Dont want to have a credit card? fine but this is the kind of stuff you get to deal with. I worked in the hotel industry for a while, we required a Credit Card for anyone checking in. You cant even imagine how many people would get mad and say things like " what are the people without a creditcard supposed to do? where am i supposed to sleep" ummmm WHO CARES, NOT MY PROBLEM ! We got enough damaged rooms from people that put a credit card down, let alone some person who doesnt have one at all. No thanks !! this is 2011, if you dont or cant get credit than you are pretty much gonna have a tough time in life.

In all my years of ordering aquarium hardware ive never had this kind of issue.

From my own experience.

Marineland Acrylic Sump: $250 - Recieved cracked - Called Marineland, received a replacment next day air. Not holding my credit card. They didnt even want the old one back. Pictures and proof of purchase where good enough.

Marineland skimmer - $200 - Pump Went out - Called Marineland, they sent me a whole new skimmer. Proof of original purchase is all they wanted. This was a bonus since I really just needed a new pump. No holding my credit card.

Current USA light fixture - $325 - End plastics came damaged - Called Current USA, they sent me out a new fixture ASAP with a prepayed return for the old fixture. No holding my credit card.

28G Nano Cube - $450 - Back wall came loose from the tank - Called JBJ, They sent me out a new tank, proof of purchase is all they asked for, didnt even want pictures. Next Day Air from California, I can imagine what that cost them. Again no need to hold my CC.

Is this kind of service to much to expect from a company when apparently it is the practice of others ?

Seriously is expecting a company to make a purchase right that big of a deal ?

you seem to be able to buy things that are decent and by no means cheap, but you cant keep a credit card OR maintain a balance big enough where you cant spare $400 for a few days? me thinks someone has some financial growing up to do !

Mods, Lock thread....

Thread Closed.

The thread is not closed. Obviously the mods want us to continue flaming you. I'm glad you had so much trouble and spent so much time being upset about this. You being a teenager with a credit card I would ask your parents about the proper use of it.

No, businesses do not work for us, they work for themselves. They have the same right to tell their customers to #### off the same way we have the right to sue them/report to BBB if they #### us over (which you were not ####ed in this case). Grow up kid.

Mods, Lock thread....

Hmmmm still open. Do you always make requests in a demanding way? Just wondering if this might have something to do with your "problems" with this transaction.

Point taken, people arnt being open to the real issue here. "As good as it gets" is a company not thinking they are God and have a premium return policy for their premium priced product.

Yes they are - you are not happy with the opinion of the clear majority, but they are open to the real issue. The whooshing noise is the salient point of this thread whizzing over your head. Calm down and think a little more critically here.

Perhaps, and I only say perhaps your impression that they think they are God exists only in your mind. Just because someone refuses to break their companies policy (and the person you spoke with might simply not have the authority to do so), a fairly standard business policy at that, does not equate to thinking one is God.

I for one was happy because I did receive a discount from Foster and Smith for my troubles and expressed my feelings and experience to a retailer that im sure makes up a good chunk of sales for Ecotech.

F&S is much much larger and can more easily take the hit, and they have chosen to, but don't for a second think that there isn't something identifying this transaction in their files, and that there will eventually be a limit to how many times you receive this kind of treatment.

Thread Closed.

Apparently not, who do you think you are . . . .God? :lol:

This thread ended up like his mr.coral thread. Well it ended up just about like all of his review threads. He gets so pissed at a company for no reason. Then he comes on here and complaines about it. Then he just looks stupid in the end. It makes me lol.

I have found that if you are nice to the people on the other end of the phone that will do what ever they can to come up with a reasonable fix that will work for both of you. You could have sent you pump back before they sent you your new one. It would have been that easy and you would not have a hold on your funds. Stop being suck a prick and I bet that your CS experences would get a whole lot better. Be nice to them they will be nice to you.

Archived