Top Shelf Aquatics

Piece of acrylic over my tank?

Zer0

Hey guys, i'm just wondering if using a piece of acrylic as a top for my aquarium will diffuse light or anything. I'll be using a 150w halide. Also, the acrylic will most likely have tiny holes drilled in it in a few locations for proper aeration. The halide will be 10-12" above the tank.

You guys see any problems with this?

And yes, i know it defeats the purpose of a rimless tank, but it will be thin, and i will take it off when i take pictures. I just don't want any fish going carpet surfing.

if the holes are in the center or in the way of the light it may reduce or make some changes in light. If the holes are properly placed, you shouldn't have any problems as acrylic doesn't have any kind of tint like glass.

if the holes are in the center or in the way of the light it may reduce or make some changes in light. If the holes are properly placed, you shouldn't have any problems as acrylic doesn't have any kind of tint like glass.

Ok cool. Where should i place the holes then? Just a couple holes on each corner? Nothing really in the way? Or should i just leave it solid and without holes? Because i mean... now that i think of it, my fuge will be open completely, so wouldn't that allow for proper gas exchange?

Is this for the tank in your sig? If so, you have a sump set up I imagine so I really wouldn't be too concerned about any type of holes/venting needed in your lid. Your halide sounds like it's high enough up to not have to worry about any heat issues messing with the acrylic. I have a 150 watt sitting about six inches or an acrylic lid and it just gets slightly warm... I would go thicker on the acrylic versus thin. Say a quarter inch or so... the thinner stuff has enough flex to it that it would more than likely start sagging on you. Nobody wants a droopy lid.

Steve

Is this for the tank in your sig? If so, you have a sump set up I imagine so I really wouldn't be too concerned about any type of holes/venting needed in your lid. Your halide sounds like it's high enough up to not have to worry about any heat issues messing with the acrylic. I have a 150 watt sitting about six inches or an acrylic lid and it just gets slightly warm... I would go thicker on the acrylic versus thin. Say a quarter inch or so... the thinner stuff has enough flex to it that it would more than likely start sagging on you. Nobody wants a droopy lid.

Steve

Exactly what i needed to hear. Thanks sammy and thanks glazer. I'm going to go with a 20x20 piece of acrylic with 1/4" thickness. No holes in it.

Thanks guys!

Archived