Pod Your Reef

Auto Top off utilizing toilet float valve

C4rN4gE

I have a barrel Im putting my water into, and Im going to have RODI going into it. If I take one of the Toilet tank Fill Valves at home depot, and mount it in the barrel, I dont see why it wouldnt work? The RODI works on pressure, and filling your toilet works on the same principle. I would have to make sure no metal parts, but I think it would be fine to use - anyone know why I couldnt?

phi delt reefer
I have a barrel Im putting my water into, and Im going to have RODI going into it. If I take one of the Toilet tank Fill Valves at home depot, and mount it in the barrel, I dont see why it wouldnt work? The RODI works on pressure, and filling your toilet works on the same principle. I would have to make sure no metal parts, but I think it would be fine to use - anyone know why I couldnt?

it'll work ( i have seen it on other systems) but its alot of work to repurpose (you will need to build a bracket and what not)

you can get an ro/di float valve for 15-20 bucks on ebay with a bracket.

Thats awesome! What would I do without the Nano-reef community? I wonder if I can find one locally so I dont have to wait... or use paypal so the wife wont find out...

jeff@zina.com
Thats awesome! What would I do without the Nano-reef community? I wonder if I can find one locally so I dont have to wait... or use paypal so the wife wont find out...

Bulk Reef Supply. Just saying... :)

Not sure how you are setting this up, but maybe this is an option for you:

p_524779_15617.jpg

Great product I have used one for my gravity feed ATO for like 15 years never once gave me any troubles. I can't say that about my flusher on my toilet though. :o

Great product I have used one for my gravity feed ATO for like 15 years never once gave me any troubles. I can't say that about my flusher on my toilet though. :o

What exact product is that?

The more I read though, the dangers of having the RO directly tied to the system, are too great. Much better to have it in another bucket, instead of directly in the tank. If it sticks "On", your saltwater tank will be freshwater with a lot of dead fishies!

What exact product is that?

Kent Float Valve, Only been around since Moses parted the Dead Sea.

The more I read though, the dangers of having the RO directly tied to the system, are too great. Much better to have it in another bucket, instead of directly in the tank. If it sticks "On", your saltwater tank will be freshwater with a lot of dead fishies!

Been using a Kent Float valve for 15 years on my 135 gal sump and NEVER has it failed. I have a 5 gallon reservoir built into my sump that holds RO/DI water. As the water evaps and level drops in sump the valve opens allow water to run into the sump. Once it fills up the valve closes, end of process until it starts again. Simple, effective and reliable.

Here are pictures of the same process as used on my 20 long sump.

DSCN0268.jpg

IMAG0347.jpg

The home depot floats work great and are a fraction of the price. It is just hard finding synthetic fittings to hook up since they are standard plumbing and most is just brass or copper or them chrome plated water lines.

Archived