Pod Your Reef

Growing corals on the wall

nanobeef

I have three types of invasive corals. I'm moving over to a new tank and I'm thinking about trying to grow one on the back wall. The corals I have is a fast spreading GSP, blue cloves, and purple anthelia. I'm not even sure if I can stick blue cloves to the back wall so that one may be out but what do y'all think? Or is it a bad idea because I need to let coraline grow on the wall instead?

I do not think you "need" to let anything grown anywhere. So do not worry about the coraline thing...

As for using the back wall......I think it looks amazing and I am trying to get some Green Star Polyps to do the same thing. I am not concerned about them invading the rest of the tank since I can easily use a razor blade to stop/cut/redirect the growth on the glass if it gets close to a rock or the sand. I think it mostly works in tanks where there is a separation between the glass/back wall and any rock.

I like them! I don't consider them invasive but thats what I've read. I'll frag em if need be but I'm definitely keeping them. The question is where?

I was thinking the cloves would look cool because it would be like the sky. The anthelia is new but I'm really starting to like it. I've stocked almost my entire tank out of the $5 frag rack at my LFS so I just grab whatever looks cool that week. :happy:

i recommend GSP, not so much the anthelia. I have anthelia and it looks great, but it spreads worse than GSP. It doesnt just grow from its edges, somehow little pieces come off and end up all over the tank. This doesnt happen a whole lot, but if you had a whole back wall full of the stuff it might.

i recommend GSP, not so much the anthelia. I have anthelia and it looks great, but it spreads worse than GSP. It doesnt just grow from its edges, somehow little pieces come off and end up all over the tank. This doesnt happen a whole lot, but if you had a whole back wall full of the stuff it might.

I second against anthelia. it grows like MAD and can take over once it gets REAL happy. Even the smallest amount of skin can flourish and spread.

I'm interested in the blue cloves on the back wall. Would that work? Do they grow in a mat like GSP? Is anthelia similar to xenia?
I did this once, and it turned out really nice. Just leave the cloves on a small chip of rock, or something similar. Superglue that to the back. They'll spread pretty quick if the conditions are to their liking.

Also, I'll be doing this again. So, on second thought.... Don't do it. :angry:

I think I'm going to try the blue clove. Blue clove on the background and GSP on the tonga branch. The anthelia frag I have also has a couple zoas on it like it grew over them. I'm starting to wonder if it was a good purchase. I'm tempted to try some sympodium instead. Just saw my LFS has it $20 a frag.

Formula462 where are you at? I'm in Houston. I'll keep you and gulfsurfer in mind if I have to start fragging it.

Archived