Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reef Vase - "Blue Crevice"

Rogles

it will be neat to see how the feeding went. if it hasn't been fed I expect the coral recession to be stronger now, but not too late to regenerate. we are hungry feed us!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. The vase is still running fine. There isn't much to update though. I still haven't replaced the frogspawn yet so there's a large empty space on the left side. I'm holding off on new pics until I get that sorted out.

• 1 month later...

Nice vase!

I was wondering about the sound of the bubbles, Is there a way to make this sort of silent?

A few larger bubbles or a lot of small ones? Or just not so much gph?

Jb

• 1 month later...

Nice Vase,

How and what is the filtration if you don't mind me asking as my wife just saw this and she wants me to make one just like it lol.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Need 2012 April pics, real bad, even just a cell phone pic!

A lot of hardfast vase rules are being changed, need to see how that worked out w pics

I'm also keen to see some updated pics of this vase. I love the pop from all blue leds. I tried it on mine for a bit but decided to add in some white leds as i thought it would help the corals.

Id like to reread the thread to see what the lighting was, id like to use it over mine, the pc's shining from the side will add the daylight but that purple pop is truly savory Rogles

• 7 months later...

I kinda wish he would update this, but he hasn't been active for a while now :(

This was one of my favorite picos. I was going to do one like this, and like brandon's in the future.

Hopefully this tank is still up...

yep, I think it was the actinic only that did it in. that only works for a few months

but it looks so darn cool people can't help but try it

not warm enough to drive photosynthesis, even though par charts on natural reefs show that as the active spectrum. I dont know exactly why it won't work for us...it just dont or id be doing it cuz I like the pop

we really need the update for this. lets try to find it on another forum. i don't think this tank is dead yet. i think its actually still alive unless the owner had to move and take it down or something happened and power went out for a while or something bad like that. From what i remember this tank lived for a quite a while on just this blue PAR bulb.

over 10 months at least from what i can tell in the post times. that's a while. shows life and growth too.

That's cool if it lasted even over 6mos id be impressed.

There was this $20 k frag tank from a lfs in a reefcentral post that used only blue leds for pop and and been for a year it was astounding. Hard to gauge lifespan from come and go frags in lfs but if rogles got 6+ mos and no lps recessed tissue

at the base of the coral in a reefbowl that lends credibility. Maybe the directionality/intensity difference of leds really helps.

I think I'm going to try it someday when i start a pico again. you should give it a shot too. you know, using mostly blue LED bulb, but using your PCs to supplement the white light.

The problem is i dont want to waste money and buy just a royal blue PAR bulb if it really cant support corals in the long run. which is why i would really like to see an update of what this vase has become :D

Sorry I disappeared guys. The vase is still running however I had a heater failure months ago which I failed to notice right away. Lost a couple of corals in the process and the most of the ones that recovered lost their color (they are still having a difficult time regaining color). The armor gods are still bright pink though. The coraline has encrusted all over the glass and it's starting to look like brandon's in that regard. Due to that and the scratches on the glass, I'm debating on transferring everything into a new vase. What do you think?

Also, I picked up another PAR led light. This one's an orphek dimmable with both royal blue and white leds. I switch back in forth between this one and the all blue one from time to time.

I'll post pics this week.

unfortunate that it happened :(

is there a certain brand of small heaters we should be avoiding in vases?

Did the vase get too hot or too cold because of the heater failure?

So in conclusion you can say that using only a royal blue LED lamp the corals do survive and still look good and grow?

Also how long have you had this vase growing under only that blue LED bulb?

Glad to see you're back!

Scratches really stink. The only preventative I've found is wiping down the inside with wet peroxide paper towel each week during the water change, preventatively

Its kept my front area free of coralline about two yrs now no more scraping.

Here's the latest pic. It was taken from my phone so it's pretty low quality and the white and blue orphek light is on so the corals don't pop as much.

I had a tetra heater in there. I don't really think it was the heater's fault per se. There were a couple of times I forgot to turn off the heater before a water change. I think that damaged it. When it failed, it didn't heat the water, so the water ended up being too cold. It was about 59/60 degrees when I realised something was wrong.

post-53697-1355122013_thumb.jpg

How much water volume do you have in this? Just curious. I don't remember seeing a number.

Also What are you doing for water circulation?

I have been thinking of getting a square vase and giveing this a go.

water volume is about the same as brandon's vase i'd assume. maybe slightly more because brandon's has more coral. but either way its less than 1 gallon which is sweet. Your vase still looks great :)

and I'm still going to try this vase concept when I can.

Vase picos usually use a single powerhead somewhere in the rockwork or near the neck of the vase where you can't see from the pics.

I have a two gallon cylinder vase I bought when I first got back into fish tanks about 3 years ago. I keep meaning to do something with it again, right now it just has a colony of red rams horns breeding in it. I might give it a shot with this. My big issue with round is how badly it distorts things.I don't like the magnifying glass look. I may just get a square one. I just need to stop procrasting and actually start a pico. I have bene wanting to since I saw the one gallon that threelast (proably mispelled that name) has.

Archived