Pod Your Reef

Bonsai's [BC29] Reborn - Cloudy with a Chance of Awesome.

Bonsai

Oct 1, 2012 FTS

bc29oct2012.jpg

Hi all,

This is the latest revision of my BC29 that I've had since Summer of 2008. Over the last several years, I've had many different tanks. We built a new house that was completed a couple weeks ago - and now that we're getting settled in, it was time to fire up my 29G BioCube and make the house a home.

Since we were building this house, I knew that I would have to move the tank from the previous place sooner or later. I opted to trade all of the livestock back to my LFS a little over a month ago and cleaned the BC29 with vinegar .. including all of the equipment, to give myself a brand new start. The tank literally looks brand new.

Specifications

Livestock

• Pair of ORA Picasso Clownfish
  • Banggai Cardinal Fish
  • Flame Angelfish
  • Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • Emerald Crab
  • Fighting Conch
  • Assorted Snails

Here are a couple shots.

Day One -- Cloudy with a Chance of Awesome

cloudyi.jpg

Day Two -- So Clean and Shiny

bc20day2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The tank has been up a month, and my LFS received a shipment from ORA today ... included in the shipment was a juvenile pair of Picasso Clownfish. I couldn't pass up the opportunity, so I picked 'em up.

Also pictured here is my Blood Shrimp. I look forward to watching the color develop on the Picassos.

orapicasso030911.jpg

Bonsai, that rock-scape is pimptastic!

I also like your entertainment center! Recently I mounted my flat-screen on the wall, but I only have a temporary solution in place for the A/V equipment. I'm looking to design a nice built-in sometime.

nice clowns. but where are the corals? :D

Ha - I'm completely restocking from scratch ... so the coral is limited ... but I'm working on it. I have a few frags of zoas and a 10+ head Blasto Wellsi ... but other than that, just the Picassos, some snails, and the blood shrimp.

ZOMG it's Bonsai! Cool clowns.

Bonsai, that rock-scape is pimptastic!

I also like your entertainment center! Recently I mounted my flat-screen on the wall, but I only have a temporary solution in place for the A/V equipment. I'm looking to design a nice built-in sometime.

Thanks! The house is brand new ... and I was able to work with my builder quite a bit on the fireplace and built-ins. He ran 2" PVC piping from the back of the TVs down into the cabinet areas (the doored-off parts) for easy installation of HDMI cables and such. It turned out pretty cool :)

That looks great! As a female, I must cringe looking at those beautiful wood floors beneath your saltwater tank. I'm sure you will be extra careful during your maintenance routine :D

Looks great! Nice new crib. Where in Michigan and what store did you get the clowns from if you don't mind me asking.

In in DeWitt ... just north of Lansing. Preuss Pets in Lansing had posted on another forum that they had a shipment from ORA, and that they had a Picasso pair ... so I went right after work and picked them up. :)

That looks great! As a female, I must cringe looking at those beautiful wood floors beneath your saltwater tank. I'm sure you will be extra careful during your maintenance routine :D

Ha! I PAID for those floors ... believe me, I'm extra careful :)

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I updated this thread.

The past year has been crazy busy, and I was pulled away from the hobby for a period of time to tackle other projects (renovating/finishing my basement, building my business, etc). The BC29 became grossly over-run with macro algae and cyanobacteria. I tried for months to find the cause and after tons of water changes and testing the RO/DI water, I found myself back to square one.

So - I started the tank completely over. New sand, new live rock, and ... LEDs.

Below are some photos ... I re-started the BC29 about three weeks ago.

BC29 Retrofit LED Kit from RapidLED

led-parts.jpg

LEDs Mounted, Heatsink Installed

led-mounted.jpg

LED hood wired and soldered (thanks to a friend who is fantastic with solder!)

led-hood.jpg

Crappy "Before" shot with PCs

before.jpg

Slightly less crappy "After" shot with LEDs

after.jpg

Much more to come. I moved the Picasso pair from their temporary home back to this aquarium tonight ... they're happy to be home once again.

What type of business do you own? I really love the LED lighting vs the PC lighting, what a difference! And that scape is awesome.

What type of business do you own? I really love the LED lighting vs the PC lighting, what a difference! And that scape is awesome.

I've been a web designer for 18 years ... I do it full time, but I'm also building a group of freelance clients. :)

• 3 months later...
Thanks! The house is brand new ... and I was able to work with my builder quite a bit on the fireplace and built-ins. He ran 2" PVC piping from the back of the TVs down into the cabinet areas (the doored-off parts) for easy installation of HDMI cables and such. It turned out pretty cool :)

That is a great way to do it. I recently bought and installed a 1080p 3D projector with 10ft screen and did the same thing. Ran conduit from the projector through the wall and to the floor where it comes out to the media server and game consoles that are hidden in a table. I knew I had to run the conduit because I'll never go back to a tv again! haha

Your tank is extremely clean. Nice work

Love the tank! Is that a flame angel I see back there?!?! I heard they pick corals. How has yours behaved? And I LOVE the dory Momento pic you have there!!! I definitely have to find that pic for my wallpaper!!

Gorgeous :happy:

Thanks!

Your tank is extremely clean. Nice work

Thanks! I clean the glass daily and vacuum the sand and blow off the rocks weekly :)

Love the tank! Is that a flame angel I see back there?!?! I heard they pick corals. How has yours behaved? And I LOVE the dory Momento pic you have there!!! I definitely have to find that pic for my wallpaper!!

Definitely a flame angel. I picked it up about a month ago ... and it's been a model citizen so far. She picks at the rocks all day, but I have yet to see her disturb a coral. The Dory shirt is from Woot.com ... http://weknowawesome.com/wp-content/upload...-lg-550x412.png

Your pictures are amazing :o What kind of camera are you using? Also can you tell us what kind of corals are in your tank? :happydance:

Archived