Innovative Marine Aquariums

Too much GPH?

digihang

HI

I just got a pair of clowns today, and i was wondering is it going to get stressed out by the high current, in my 20 gal tank, produced by a power head of 1050 gph? I place the power head near the surface.facing the glass to prevent my clowns getting blasted away...Right now my clowns are swimming against the current on the other side of the tank of where my power is placed. Thanks

Why do you need that much flow from one powerhead in a 20 gallon tank? Longterm the fish might be stressed. You should have atleast 2 powerheads or 3 with less flow per unit for that size tank.

Its a 20 gal 30'' and my lfs told me I need one of those if planned to have anemones in the future. Can't i just face it against to wall to reduce the current intensity?

I have 2 750s facing each other on opposite sides, fish should be fine if you have some rockwork to break up the flow some. My dragonette is fine when all powerheads are on 750 + 750 +300 gph

Thanks anemone fan! I do have two bridges set up with my LR. But they rarely go inside it or pass them, well I just got these clown today. I'll see if they are going to host these under-passes.

Thanks anemone fan! I do have two bridges set up with my LR. But they rarely go inside it or pass them, well I just got these clown today. I'll see if they are going to host these under-passes.

If you can get a timer have the pump going on for an hour off an hour to give me a break and slowly get them used to full power.

Unfortunately I dont have one of those timing outlets yet and cant get one until i go to petco next week. I guess i have to do it manually. I just unplug my power head and they are swimming throughout the tank, as opposed when it is plugged in they only stay in one spot treading water. so when i go to sleep should i unplug it or leave the power head it on?

Just go to wal mart/homedepot ect..... and get any timer that the ph can plug into and set it for the run time you want. It can be done for about 5-6 bucks. ;)

Its a 20 gal 30'' and my lfs told me I need one of those if planned to have anemones in the future. Can't i just face it against to wall to reduce the current intensity?

I wouldnt trust you LFS. They are full of s***.

I would by two smaller powerheads and save the other for mixing water for water changes or just keep it for the upgrade that you will be doing in about a year.

Archived