Top Shelf Aquatics

Moving Suggestions?

JayEeeTeeEss

I'm going to be moving as soon as I get a job and the question is what to do with my existing reef? I have a 29 gal BC setup with 50 lbs of liverock and a ton of coral attached to the rock as well as lots of inverts. I live in Long Island, NY right now and will be moving up to the Boston area which is about 4-5 hours. I would like to keep most of my corals and inverts, but a lot I plan on giving away to friends or selling. I want to keep all of my rock and I'm probably going to ditch my sand. Even though it is established nicely I don't want to risk disturbing everything and having nitrate issues in the new setup.

My plan is to purchase a new tank which will probably be about 60 gallons Reef Ready (not sure of shape yet) with sump in stand. I am going to need more rock so I was thinking about setting it up with live sand and about 40 lbs of new rock as well as a piece of two of rocks I have that don't have corals on them and letting it cycle. Then after that has been cycling for a few weeks I plan to make a trip to NY and bring everything up in coolers and put the remaining rocks into the new setup.

1. When I put my existing 50 lbs of cured rock from the NY tank into the cycled Boston tank will there be another a big cycle and will I lose a lot of coral/invertebrates?

2. Would it be better to introduce the NY rock on two back to back weekends, half each time?

3. When i set up the Boston tank should I put chaeto (along with my deep sand bed) in the sump right away or should I wait until it is cycled?

4. I also have fish that I want to move up there, should I move them at the same time as all the rock and coral or should I transport half of the rocks and the next weekend make another trip for the rest of the rocks and fish?

5. Is my plan horrible or may it work without a catastrophic loss of life?

Any input would be awesome.

Maybe pickup a power inverter so you can heat/circulate the water during the trip (don't think you'll NEED it) but if it stays warm you'd probably have little to no die off.

I was thinking about putting everything in bags and stuffing hand warmer heat puches throughout everything, however that would not take care of circulation issues. Do you think it would be better to have everything in the same water instead of small confined bags? I am worried about everything sliding around in the cooler and damaging all of my corals.

Builder Anthony

The power inverter is a device you hook up to a battery and has house sockets hooked up to them they are commonly used on boats to supply you with house outlets so you could plug in things.

You can also try getting a airpump that runs on a battery.

Its that or buckets.Id probally bag the corals and cushion them.

Thanks for the idea of the power inverter device as I could probably even use that after the move for other things. Right now I am more concerned with my overall plan that I had laid out above:

"I'm going to be moving as soon as I get a job and the question is what to do with my existing reef? I have a 29 gal BC setup with 50 lbs of liverock and a ton of coral attached to the rock as well as lots of inverts. I live in Long Island, NY right now and will be moving up to the Boston area which is about 4-5 hours. I would like to keep most of my corals and inverts, but a lot I plan on giving away to friends or selling. I want to keep all of my rock and I'm probably going to ditch my sand. Even though it is established nicely I don't want to risk disturbing everything and having nitrate issues in the new setup.

My plan is to purchase a new tank which will probably be about 60 gallons Reef Ready (not sure of shape yet) with sump in stand. I am going to need more rock so I was thinking about setting it up with live sand and about 40 lbs of new rock as well as a piece of two of rocks I have that don't have corals on them and letting it cycle. Then after that has been cycling for a few weeks I plan to make a trip to NY and bring everything up in coolers and put the remaining rocks into the new setup.

1. When I put my existing 50 lbs of cured rock from the NY tank into the cycled Boston tank will there be another a big cycle and will I lose a lot of coral/invertebrates?

2. Would it be better to introduce the NY rock on two back to back weekends, half each time?

3. When i set up the Boston tank should I put chaeto (along with my deep sand bed) in the sump right away or should I wait until it is cycled?

4. I also have fish that I want to move up there, should I move them at the same time as all the rock and coral or should I transport half of the rocks and the next weekend make another trip for the rest of the rocks and fish?

5. Is my plan horrible or may it work without a catastrophic loss of life?"

Didn't appreciate the attempted smugness of that post. I can only assume that your boyfriend (I'm assuming you are a male) forgot to get you something for Valentine's Day yesterday and you are in still in a bad mood. Thanks for the bump though!

...Its not like my questions were answered by that thread. I was asking about setting up a tank with MORE uncured rock and having it cycle and then moving everything up after that happened as well as the precautions I should take and if my overall plan was a good start. In closing.. GFY!

Other input for the real questions I was asking is still needed minus smugness.

Woah.....dude. You are the one being an ass here. I was not being smug at all. I was posting a link to an amazing thread that had tons of details and photos about tank moves. It is tossed around on nano-reef as a "holy grail" of sorts when it comes to tank moves.

Sorry if it did not address your specific questions. I am not going to compare the two side to side and spend my time worrying about if what I post is exactly word for word what you are asking.

I know that personally I learn a lot from those type of threads and end up getting questions answered that I did not even know I had.....

Good luck with your attitude (and your tank move/reset). :)

Well, it sounded smug and could've been worded like:

"here is link a good moving thread" or "check out this thread for a reference"

Archived