SaltCritters.com

Once the CUC has cleaned up a new tank, then ...?

CoopMD

I threw in a pile of CUC into my just-cycled tank, and they have done a great job of cleaning up GHA, diatoms and all sorts of other junk..

In my NAno Cube 28, I have 15 hermits, 1 Emerald crab and 18 snails (Astrae + Troncs)

What do they eat now?

Also something I was wondering as well. I dont really like hermit crabs all too much so I was thinking after my cycle clean up I would remove them or most of them at least, so they dont mess with other things i'm planning on stocking.

Here's what I have in my "almost a year old" 20 gallon:

2 dozen+ snails

1 pretty large turbo snail

10+ hermits

Emerald crab

Yes, your CuC can starve itself out.. the numbers will eventually balance based on supply of food and demand of CuC's appetite. However, here's the deal.. since you're new to the tank, the following will happen:

-Overfeeding

-Slacking on waterchanges and mag floating the glass

-Unnecessarily long light cycles

These three things combined will lead to more than enough food to keep your relatively small CuC alive.

This would probably apply to the two others asking, as well :P

That is ALOT of cleanup crew for a 28G tank...

My 34G has 8 snails and 2 hermits and they keep everything looking tidy (plus 4 nassarius, but they only eat leftover food)

They will just die off until everyone is happy.. most of the dead ones will be eaten by the live ones

That is ALOT of cleanup crew for a 28G tank...

My 34G has 8 snails and 2 hermits and they keep everything looking tidy (plus 4 nassarius, but they only eat leftover food)

They will just die off until everyone is happy.. most of the dead ones will be eaten by the live ones

Head on over to reefcleaners and have John piece a CuC together for you.. just to see what he would suggest.

You'd be surprised. Your CuC is actually super light, not the other way around ;)

Here's what he suggested for my 20g, on top of a smaller CuC that I already had:

20 Dwarf Ceriths - small effective cleaners

8 Nassarius

9 Florida Ceriths

6 Blue Legs

3 Large Nerite and 3 Small to medium Nerites

And no one knows CuCs better than that guy.

Archived