ReefCleaners.org

Nano Surface Skimmer?

LarryMoeCurly

LarryMoeCurly

I have been searching for options for a surface skimmer for a 10 gallon tank (12" tall). There is a layer of film on the water surface that I cannot get to go away, it has remained even after several water changes. The only filtration I have now is a penguin powerfilter, which keeps blowing the film-ish debri back down into the water creating annoying microparticles that float around. The film even seems to be slightly limiting the amount of light in the tank.

Is there a surface skimmer that would fit a tank this small? The only one I have seen is the foster and smith powerfilter/skimmer combo.

Better yet, is there a surface skimmer attachment that is small enough for this size tank and could be retrofitted to the penguin filter?

Or is there some other possible solution to this problem that I am not aware of?

you will need a surface skimmer attachment. I dont think there is one for the penguin filter. Hagen makes one for the aquaclear filter and fluval canister filters which you might be able to retro fit it.

another option is to increase the surface agitation by pointing a power head at the surface this will mix the film with the water and your powerfilter will be able to clean the water

LarryMoeCurly

I have seen the canister filter skimmer attachment and it appears way too big for a ten gallon tank, I have not been able to find the aquaclear attachment though. I don't like the idea of using a powerhead with the hopes of the powerfilter cleaning it up.

As for the subcurrent, I see it on amazon for 28 plus shipping. It appears as though its just a plug and go sort of thing (which is good), no pumps or anything needed.It looks like the output is near the bottom of the filter, which means there would be a strong current on the bottom of the tank, stirring up the sand. Are there longer hoses that come with it to ajust the output? Also, the one I'm looking at has these dimensions:

7.75"H x 4.24"W x 2.25"D

Wouldn't this take up an aweful lot of room in a 10 gallon?

I really aprreciate the advice, this is a frustrating problem.

glazer, where does the water go once it falls into that thing, is there an outlet that im not seeing? It looks like you made it yourself, if thats the case then it can't help me.

but thanks anyway, wish I had the time and skills to make my own equipment

glazer, where does the water go once it falls into that thing, is there an outlet that im not seeing? It looks like you made it yourself, if thats the case then it can't help me.

but thanks anyway, wish I had the time and skills to make my own equipment

It's a surface skimmer... you stick it on the wall of the tank and place your pick up tube from either your HOB filter or canister filter in it. So, when the water "falls into that thing" the filter sucks it up :D

And yes, I did "make that thing"... I make all kinds of things, some people even buy my things. You're wrong though... I can help you if you like that thing and want to own that thing. I could make that thing for you and you could buy that thing and I would then send you that thing and you could stick that thing in your tank and get rid of that surface uh, stuff. :D

Steve

LarryMoeCurly

thanks for the clarification glazer :) that would probably suit my needs very well actually

I found the aquaclear attachment, anyone have experience with this? It is too big for a 10g? It appears to be the same design as the canister filter attachment; I'm hoping that isn't the case since the canister filter attachment is like 14 inches high and 3 inches in diameter, which is enormous for 10g!

LarryMoeCurly

it seems like using a powerhead to blow the debri down into the water would only accomplish the same thing that the output from the power filter does now. it simply blows the dirt around and does not clean it up very efficiently.

it seems like skimming it directly from the surfece would be the fastest, most efficient way of cleaning it up

it seems like skimming it directly from the surfece would be the fastest, most efficient way of cleaning it up

Most definitely. I guess I was under the impression you really wanted to avoid a skimmer. The skimmer attachment for a HOB filter should work well and you should be able to orient it well enough so it's not an eyesore in a 10g.

For the record though, I had the same issues with surface film (algae outbreak, chemical warfare, chemicals/grease floating around the air in my kitchen where my tank sits). I put a powerhead in the tank to severely agitate the surface and my tiny HOB had no issue cleaning it. I think I let the powerhead run over night and the next day I turned everything off so the surface was still. That way I could make certain all the film was removed, which it was. B)

Can you make one with a section of pvc pipe slightly larger than the intake tube of your HOB intake? Cap the bottom and cut some slots in the top of the tube for the over flow. $1.50 at the hardware store. even if you buy a handsaw and a can of krylon fusion you can be done for about $12

LarryMoeCurly

how would the pipe be secured in place, refering to RK_tek's suggestion?

pardon the ignorance and questioning of details, i am no diy-er

how would the pipe be secured in place, refering to RK_tek's suggestion?

pardon the ignorance and questioning of details, i am no diy-er

I've seen it done in the DIY thread for an AC70 and that was put in a 5.5 so it don't take that much room at all.

Glazer's solution (depending on price shipped obviously) is really all you need and it simple. It's got suction cups on the back to fasten it to the glass an isn't too big.. It's black so it doesn't stand out and wont be noticeable with any algae on it. Stick the inlet tube from your filter in there and call it a day, nice and easy.

I've worked with glazer before and he can help if you want the dimensions or anything changed. He works very quickly and puts out great work.. Ships at packs everything up nicely

Just my .02. If you're not a diy-er, there's already an inexpensive and efficient answer to the surface scum problem! Lol good luck

• 1 year later...

I'm in the same predicament man!

I've had a little bit of experience with DIY projects for my tanks. I've got a 10g, and a Picotope. My pico's surface is getting pretty gross, so I'm looking for a fix. I'm on a college budget, too, so it's gonna be cheapish.

I was originally gonna go with the PVC slit-top, attatched by suction cups, or a pin through the intake tube..

It really wouldn't be difficult. Just making sure it forced the water down, through the slits.

But looking at Glazer's suggestion, and depending on the price, I may just ask him for one of his pieces.

Or maybe try to make some for myself! :D Maybe.

Anyways. I have a koralia 425 in the ten gallon, pointed at about... 20 degrees more up to the surface. It's not much, but it's diong ok.

If my solution works in the Pico, I'll definitely make one for my 10g.

Hope that helps!

thadscottmoore

I dont think that Glazer is building anything for tanks anymore- he hasnt been active in a long long while. He built most everything for my picotope and I had regular communication with him. havent heard a peep from him in some time.

Archived