Top Shelf Aquatics

Question about my first water change.

zoox

So, the time has come to perform my first water change, just have a quick question. To save myself some time I bought the saltwater already premade from my local LFS right down the street. The problem is that the SG of the new water is 1.024 while my tank is at 1.022. So, my question is, if I'm only changing about 3-4 gallons is that going to cause me any trouble. I would imagine that such a small addition of water would maybe raise the SG in my tank by one thousandth to 1.023 so I'm thinking no, figured I would ask just to make sure tho first.

PS. Anyone who saw my previous posts about the heliofungia I have, the one the rock fell on, it's still alive. It doesn't look so hot on the are the small rock fell but the rest of it looks pretty healthy. Still hoping for a full recovery.

Also, I was in Barnes and Noble the other day and picked up a pretty good book on aquariums. I studied marine biology in college so I already know most of the basics and I like this book because it goes in depth a little more than some of the others I was looking at. Anyways, heres the link if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Aquarium-Hand...n/dp/0764136747

Depends on your livestock.. some things can handle it, some can't.

1.022 is very, very low. I run around 1.026-7.. most people are ~1.025

depends how much you're actually changing out of your total volume. If it were like a large percentage then it might be a bit of a shock but no, you should be fine if you're just talking salinity wise.

Could also let your tank evap a little bit if u wanted or on the flip side add some RO/DI to the fish store water if ur worried.

What is the size of your tank? What do you currently have in it? If you don't have corals in it, then you don't need to worry about it that much. That said, if you're changing 5g out of 29g, it would only raise the SG by about .001, like you said which wouldn't be a big deal. Best practice is to always match temperature, salinity and pH of your water.

Archived