Cultivated Reef

First sw, need help identifying.

Jmorton

Ok as I said this is my first sw aquarium, had a fresh water as a kid but that was ten years ago. I picked up a biocube 14 last week, tues night I made it to the lfs I have been talking to about this endeavor. I picked up 20 lbs ls, 16 lbs lr, and water that has already been up and running. When I started setting it up I noticed something growing on my lr. Just trying identify it. There is actually two things in question, first thing is little red spike looking things. Now these are tiny and I didn't notice them when I put the lr in. I couldn't get a pic of them on my phone so no help there. Now on to the second, I will attach a picture in hopes someone can identify it.IMAG0203-1.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It appears soft and squishy, I haven't reached in to touch it. Didn't want to harm it. Figured with the move to my tankbit had seen enough shock. Guess I could do that tomorrow. It almost appears flat on the top. Here is another pic, if you look close on the rock in the top left cornrr you can see the spikes I'm talking about as well.

Builder Anthony

Its not something you normaly see.I guess after a while it will change in color.I think it might ba a anome but they uasually have tenticles.Id try to keep some light on it.You can also try and touch it with some flake food.It might help feeding it like that.

I had the exact same thing in my reef, it nay be a sponge of somesort, i never really figured out what it was, but it never did anything bad, so I let it be, to increase animal life. If it dozen't seem to do anything I would leave it in the tank unless it dies, then remove it immediately.

Looks like the skeleton of something like a hammer or something.

Yep. Looks to me like hammer/frogspawn/torch skeleton. If it is hard like rock (like you said it was), then it is pretty much dead....just an example of how a reef is made :)

Looks like the skeleton of something like a hammer or something.

Yep.

Also, the little red things, they are probably foraminiferans

redformamin.jpg

(image from reefs.org)

That was kinda my thought, about the lil red spikes. I did some searching and seemed to come up with Possibly Foraminiferans ? Seems that my tank is to new to have something sprouting like that, I only added the lr ls and water tues. I know this isn't the right place but while I'm here ill ask, how long till I start seeing the life on my rock? Other than the red things. I hear of people having stars and all kinds of things. I'm not seeing anything.

Nitrate is 20, nitrite is 0, ph is at 8. Don't have a hydrometer as of yet some how walked off and left it at the lfs. But it was straight from his tanks at the store so it should be good. I am patient but I sure would like to see something move other than water lol.

Archived