ReefCleaners.org

filter or no filter, pico/nano question

new-b-reefer

so more and more i am seeing nano and pico reefs with no filters, just running powerheads like koralias for flow and relying strictly on live rock for bio filtration and water changes for nutrient export. just curious about everyones feelings on this. the tanks look nice having less equipment on them ;) it seems that unless you are running chaeto in the hob for a fuge then the filter is just for flow or to have a place to run carbon, chemipure, etc, or to polish the water with floss. im just trying to understand it. it does seem to be the most natural method :)

what are your thoughts?

I think it's vital to run a HOB filter on pico and nano tanks. I run an AC50 on my 12" cube and it collects a lot of junk every couple days. Keep in mind that I don't have any fish, so I assume it's mostly from my clean up crew. Also, my water is much clearer by running filter floss and chemi-pure in it. While it is possible to run a tank filter less, at the end of the day though I'd rather keep my corals and tank healthier by running a filter, as opposed to not running one because it may hurt the overall appearance of the tank.

depending on how big the filter is, it can add some valuable extra water as well. Both will work though but it's always nice to have some where extra to shove carbon, floss etc.

If at one point you had to add something like that to your tank, I think it'd look just as ugly with a filter bag floating around vs a HOB. ;)

oh of course, i 100% agree with you guys. i filter all my tanks and run carbon and all that on a regular basis. i like my tanks to be photo ready at all times ;)

i just wasnt sure if there was a beneficial resaon to the filterless method that i was un aware of (other than the look of simplicity)

i just wasnt sure if there was a beneficial resaon to the filterless method that i was un aware of (other than the look of simplicity)

Not that I found in my research. Having various media at your disposal comes in handy when dealing with specific issues.

Archived