Top Shelf Aquatics

Updating my LED light

mrg02d

Hello all,

Ive had an LED reef light I made last year back when Royal Blue and Cool white were the norm. It uses CREE

XR-E 3W leds, 12 of them, over my 7.5g rimless reef cube. I have 6 cool whites and 6 royal blue each on their own dimmable MEANWELL. I really like the blue look at night, but like to have more balance during the day (Purple Death palys disappear with just blue lights on). It seems washed out with the whites on. (Even just 30%). From what I have read, this is the general feeling.

My idea is to swap out two of the cool whites for neutral whites and two of the royal blue for regular blue. What do you guys think? Is that worth doing, or will it just be a minimal improvement? (Hardly worth the $40.00 to do so)

So with the new layout, I would then have:

4-Royal blue

2-Blue

2-Cool white

2-Neutral white.

The Royal blue and blue would be on one driver and the cool white and neutral white on the other.

Thanks!

Matt

I would focus more on the neutral whites than the blues. If you want a useful change, swap all the cool whites for neutrals. That will make far more impact than the blues will. If you feel there is something missing still after the change to neutrals, I'd add maybe one blue LED, but not two, and in addition to what you have, not replacing a royal.

Thanks for the reply...Maybe I will swap out half the cool whites for neutrals and see how that goes?

Also, did nanotuners stop selling leds? I like to be able to buy those thermal pads along with the leds. :-)

Thanks,

Matt

Yes we did. Too much hassle and not enough money in it. We are going to stick with unique products that we can offer and control. We will still be offering the thermal pads though.

Yes we did. Too much hassle and not enough money in it. We are going to stick with unique products that we can offer and control. We will still be offering the thermal pads though.

Thats too bad. I love those pads though! I hate drilling and tapping...

Thanks for the advice! I will look up some of those neutral whites and see how it goes...

Matt

Archived