SaltCritters.com

Yellow Shrimp ID

fly_boer

WAS that a hitchhiker? if it was was, damn that's an awesome hitchhiker. I got a blue one a while back but i never see it i know its still alive cause it clicks...

Awesome pistol shrimp! Get a YWG and you will have the most interesting feature of your aquarium prvoided you have enough sand bed depth and real estate.

its possible to that he lost his claws and hasnt developed the clicker yet in one of the claws. they can look normal for a couple molts

The claws are pretty much the same size... Thats why i'm asking for an ID. Thought it was a pistol shrimp but when i got home noticed that it doesn't have its clicker....

its possible to that he lost his claws and hasnt developed the clicker yet in one of the claws. they can look normal for a couple molts

Is this possible ??

Not a Pistol Shrimp.imo.

+1 looks more lobster-y than a shrimp to me but iono much about inverts lol soo.. :-P

I don't know where you guys are getting pistol shrimp.. can't even SEE the claw that could identify it as such.

Based on OP's statements, I'm going not a pistol (same size claws). Would be good to see a front shot, though, if possible.

And yes, their claws can grow back after molting.

carbon-mantis

Kind of reminds me of the little crayfish we catch out of the creek around here. Awesome looking hitchhiker! Even if it turns out to be a soul eating abomination you could probably get some money for it at the very least.

I'd be happy to trade it with you whenever you visit Indonesia..lol

So if it doesn't grow a clicker, I'll know that its not a pistol shrimp..

If not is it reef fish safe ???

If it's a lobster a I suggested earlier they're generally pretty aggressive so I'd say not reefsafe.. It'd be better to yank him out an sell him instead of taking a chance on your livestock, if you've got a lot that you're worried about. It's flippin sweet though, never seen a lobster that color, nice and vibrant! See if it changes during or before a molt

Add: since it's mainly walking I'd say it's closer to a lobster as most shrimp I've seen besides pistols are great swimmers. Disclaimer: As I said, iono much just trying to help lol

Good luck with it! Send it over to nj:D

Last night it was hiding at the same place where my firefish goes to sleep. The firefish is still alive this morning so it hasn't started attacking things in my tank...

Archived