Coral Vue Hydros

Cleaning a Water Barrel?

sefrayser

A buddy of mine found a 55 gallon Blue plastic drum on the side of the road and gave it to me. I dont know what was in it. I have not even seen the drum yet. I will be picking it up today. I know if it has any kind of smell like oil or fuel I cannot use it. I dont know what blue plastic drums are used for. If I find it to be OK how can I make sure its clean? Do I use Vinager or something like that?

I just finished cleaning my 4 out last night before we got hit with more snow in TX. Hopefully there will be a label indicating what was in it. Blue typically signifies food grade, however! Some stuff stored in food grade barrels should not be reused. Like Glycerol or Ethylene, which are used in food, but you shouldnt use their barrels. I started out soaking mine in straight bleach (unscented) and then pressure hosed them (I just poured the bleach around the rim, let it fall into the barrel, then swirled it around. Got into some serious trouble with the wife since I got some bleach on a newer shirt - I told her she should of had my old shirts washed, but she said I should've known to not wear a newer shirt - women!). I then took a large bottle of ultra concentrated Dawn original, and used it on all 4. This will produce a lot of soap!! I then pressured washed that stuff out (when I left the carwash, there was a sea of soap bubbles everywhere!) Once I had rinsed the soap out, I left the carwash, and then re-rinsed all my barrels at home. I then towel dried them and checked to make sure the towels did not come out dirty. The 4 barrels I have were labeled "Panda Oyster Sauce" and smelled terrible! Now they smell like nothing. I dont know where you are located, but around the Dallas/Fort Worth area you can get the blue barrels for $10 a piece.

Im in Va. Hard to find. The top has 2 2" holes, the top doesnt come off if that any indication to what was in it. It doesnt have a smell of anything other than old water.

It would probably be fine, but I am one to err on caution, and without knowing what was in it, will be luck of the draw. It could of just been sugar water, or it could of been Ethyl Alcohol - which would of been awesome to light a match and watch that thing fireball. But probably would of left some soot to clean out.

you could always hook it up to your downspot from the gutters, and use it as a rain barrel to water the lawn or something. Ive got a couple of 330 gallon totes that I am setting up to do that here.

Archived