ReefCleaners.org

damself is coverd in white spots?

clowe18

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a guy....and you did ask for my help as well as everyone else who chose to post or not post in this thread.....

You seemed to get the idea when I phrased it with large font size versus the 3 or 4 times I said the *exact same thing* with normal size/font. So my goal was achieved.....hope your fish do well!

I am a guy....and you did ask for my help as well as everyone else who chose to post or not post in this thread.....

You seemed to get the idea when I phrased it with large font size versus the 3 or 4 times I said the *exact same thing* with normal size/font. So my goal was achieved.....hope your fish do well!

Sorry dude!! LOL!

No worries.

We are all just trying to help....but it gets frustrating when the same advice is given by multiple people, the original person keeps asking over and over anyway....then claims they did their research when called on asking the same questions over and over...then asks the same question again....it is an infinite cycle until someone uses font size 7 ;)

Not at you Mini-Dude. At the OP. But I think they get the idea now. I hope! I hope the fish do well!

yeah my bad man. im sick and sleep deprived atm so im outta it. sorry about thaty, no harsh feeling?

Nope. I am not feeling harsh at all. If you read my thread then you will see that I had the same ich battle and I actually tried to treat it in the tank. Most things died. Feel free to read it if you want to see what happened to me. I linked to it earlier....but here it is again.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3159192

Yep......it did not go so well.....

But the one clown is still going strong in a hospital/QT tank. As long as she makes it a few more weeks, she will go back in the main tank.

Nope. I am not feeling harsh at all. If you read my thread then you will see that I had the same ich battle and I actually tried to treat it in the tank. Most things died. Feel free to read it if you want to see what happened to me. I linked to it earlier....but here it is again.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3159192

"no more damsel issues"... looking on the bright side!

I just got home from work and found 2 more damsel bodies. So I am now missing 2 and none are left swimming or coming out to eat dinner. So there ya go.......no more Damsel issue ;) But 2 bodies decaying....somewhere. I took a measurement and all my levels are still good though......except my salinity which was way high........so how did I go from way low (it was low right when I set up the tank) to way high (today)? I have done normal top off's with RO/DI and did one water change with water that matched the tank...I have no clue.....so yeah. I took out about 2 gallons and replaced it wilth RO/DI. That brought it down to right where I like to keep it. I think tomorrow I will lower it some more since lower salinity is supposed to mean less parasites. I hear that is one reason fish places keep their tanks low.

I really need to figure out how it keeps getting so weird though.....it only stresses the fish more.....

font size aside, it doesnt look like ich at all. i would re-diagnose...the white buy his gills almost looks like a fungal infection and the nips on the tail look like bites. Definitely not ich though....lots of diseases/problems will leave white marks that aren't ich.

That could be a plus for the clown since it is not showing signs....still think you need to treat them both somehow.

But then you have to decide if you want to wait the 6-8 to put them back in.....yikes! Tough choice.

I think if I was thinking it was not ich then I would treat them for fungal infections (not in the main tank still) and let them back in the tank. See if whatever it is comes back. If so....then it points to a parasite. Then you could treat for ich.

Wow a lot has happened on this thread... Good job on getting such a clear, in-focus picture of the fish. This definitely helps when figuring out a diagnosis. Usually when someone says "white spots" ich is assumed since it's very common and easy to identify.

A few more questions:

1) How long have you noticed the white spots?

2) Is the fish eating normally?

3) Do the fins appear to be clamped down most of the time?

4) Have you noticed any oddly jerky motions, or has the fish "flashed" against rocks or other objects in the tank (that is quickly rub up against something)?

5) Have more specks appeared since you initially noticed them? Have some gone away?

6) What is your tank pH? A high pH can cause funny things for fish.

7) From the picture it looks like the spots are only on the fins, is this correct? Usually ich would be all over.

Based on the answers to these questions I'm suspecting that it could still be ich, it could be a bacterial infection, a fungal infection, or a virus (Lymphosistis). Yeah I know that pretty much covers everything, but maybe we can narrow it down so that you can single out the most effective treatment.

Wow a lot has happened on this thread... Good job on getting such a clear, in-focus picture of the fish. This definitely helps when figuring out a diagnosis. Usually when someone says "white spots" ich is assumed since it's very common and easy to identify.

A few more questions:

1) How long have you noticed the white spots?

2) Is the fish eating normally?

3) Do the fins appear to be clamped down most of the time?

4) Have you noticed any oddly jerky motions, or has the fish "flashed" against rocks or other objects in the tank (that is quickly rub up against something)?

5) Have more specks appeared since you initially noticed them? Have some gone away?

6) What is your tank pH? A high pH can cause funny things for fish.

7) From the picture it looks like the spots are only on the fins, is this correct? Usually ich would be all over.

Based on the answers to these questions I'm suspecting that it could still be ich, it could be a bacterial infection, a fungal infection, or a virus (Lymphosistis). Yeah I know that pretty much covers everything, but maybe we can narrow it down so that you can single out the most effective treatment.

ive noticed them on sunday( when i got my clown fish)

he eeats but not as mush as he normaly does, so no

the bottem fins move around, he doesnt clamp them all the time

my fish hides in the rocks alot so i cant see any motions like that

im not sure if there were more or less specks... i honastly thought they were part of the fish until he was acting funny

my pH is 8.4

the fins are the only places that are effected

Yeah, just do a bucket QT and pay real close attention to the water quality. Remember, the whole idea here is to treat and make the whole thing as stress-free as possible for your fish. Lots of hiding places and dim light. The room's ambient light should be fine.

Archived