ReefCleaners.org

damself is coverd in white spots?

clowe18

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fish will be in the qt or 6 to 8 weeks. You dose them with a copper substance that I dint know the name of. Don't worry about your display it will run it's corse in 6 to 8 weeks.

Ok I can do that. Can I get away with an air pump/stone?

How

Long will

He be in there for?

How will

I treated him?

What about my Display tank?

I would say yes on the airstone. Would move enough for the fish. Fish are more forgiving with flow than corals.

6-8 weeks

Use Cupramine, made by Seachem

Leave the display how it is. Same lights, same heat, same salinity, same flow. Treat it just like it is normal. Just have NO FISH IN THERE for 6-8 weeks so the ich dies.

northstar1357
Google "cryptocaryon Irritans". It's a parasite which affects marine fish. In many cases it ends up being fatal and it's highly contagious.

The only 2 100% surefire treatment methods are copper medications (copper sulfate/cupramine are popular) and hyposalinity (around 1.010 S.G.). Neither of those can be used in a reef tank though without killing stuff.

First, I would confirm what the fish has. If all the symptoms match ich and if you have a hospital tank, I would remove the damsel immediately and start treatment. I would also carefully observe the clownfish.

If you're not sure of the diagnosis, continue to carefully observe both fish. Now would not be a good time to consider adding new fish.

Totally agreed, i had this experience with most of my fish purchased from my LFS. probably something in their water. treated with copper.

Totally agreed, i had this experience with most of my fish purchased from my LFS. probably something in their water. treated with copper.

That's why you always need a qt tank to put things in before they go into your tank.

A clean 5 gallon bucket works good for QT. Just make sure it hasn't been used for any nasty chemicals.

Don't buy a cleaner wrasse... That's horrible advice. First, they serve a useful function on natural reefs and by removing so many from the wild (they're almost all wild caught) we're screwing over the natural reefs. Next, there's no guarantee that they will provide the cleaning functions in an aquarium. Many of them don't because they eat when all the other fish eat. Fish aren't so stupid that they'll pass up a free meal. Finally, as panu said, they are not effective against the crypto parasite. If anything they can only be effective during 1 stage of the parasites life cycle, which isn't enough to do anything.

If you don't have the cash to set up a QT I still wouldn't kill the fish. Damsels are very hardy and I've known some of them to overcome. What you can do is perform a hyposalinity treatment in the display tank. Drop your salinity to around 1.009 - 1.010 over a day or so. Leave it like that for at least 20 days (longer if the fish don't seem to be too stressed). Be sure to observe the fish carefully as this can be stressful to them. Take your inverts and corals to the LFS as they won't survive the treatment. Also, while this shouldn't kill off your biological filtration, it may reduce it's capacity. Be sure to test your water frequently for ammonia and as necessary perform large water changes if you detect any. When you do the changes, be sure to match the S.G.

I have a clean bucket I'll use.

Can I proform hyposaltny in my QT?

How can I safely get rid of my ick in my display

Tank?

What about fish meds?

Have you read any of the things I have posted? I am not going to tell you the same thing 3 times in less than half an hour. Go back and read this thread from the beginning.

Yes you can drop salinity in that QT. The answer on how to get rid of the ich in the display was already answered in this thread. No meds unless it's really bad, like the fish looks like it's been rolled in sugar.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showforum=7

READREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREAD

READREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADR

EADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADRE

ADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREAD

They don't have to die... There are effective treatments!

All you need to do is decide which treatment to use and then start it ASAP. Don't try to confuse yourself with too many treatments. It sounds like hyposalinity is your best bet (copper meds are expensive ~ $10 for a bottle). But hypo requires more time and effort. Note that copper and hypo should not be used at the same time.

b06bf272.jpg

thats the best pic i could get.. its on his top fin and tail fin. there isnt any arounf his gills though.. i just wanna double check its ich before i get a QT and all that good stuff

thanks ok i just wanted to double check before i went to go buy stufff for my QT.

ahhhh this sucks

which stage would you say its in?

do you think its spread to my whole tank yet?

Umm yeah I know it sucks. I've lost a couple of fish to FW ick. I would say its in stage one. If you hurry and get your qt tank you might be able to stop it from advancing.

6 to 8 freakin' weeks!!!!!!!

Treat all your fish!!!!!!

Did you read anything anyone posted.............?

I am about to just stop reading this thread.....

Umm I still think you should get the qt. Dont! Please dont add anymore fish and have them get infected. It is spreading but in the early phases it does not show up on the body of the fish.

6 to 8 freakin' weeks!!!!!!!

Treat all your fish!!!!!!

Did you read anything anyone posted.............?

I am about to just stop reading this thread.....

THIS!!!!

Archived