Top Shelf Aquatics

Inferno's 40g Breeder.

inferno2113

inferno2113

Nothing new to report. Just doing little tweaks as the days go by. Skimmer is working awesomely, has about 1/4'' of skim and its nice n brownish. Might have to adjust it more to get a darker color but I'm happy with it so far. :P

So I have decided to go with the 36" 6x39w TEK Light Elite T5HO I don't know how high off of the water it's going to be but it will definitely be hanging.

Did another test today. And same results across the board. Will probably order that CuC mid week. omgomgomg Other than that nothing new.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SpringFever
Well, I installed that darn RO/DI system. Looks sooo much easier on the video lol. After running it for 2 hours to make sure everything got flushed out I started filling a jug. I left it on and went to go do something else as soon as I remembered I left it on I walked in to a bathroom full of water!

I laughed so hard I mights have peed a little!!! :lol:

I set mine up outside on 'fill day' because I know I would do the same thing :P

What did you do about your scape? Keeping it as is or what? Thanks for the updates!

inferno2113

The scape is still the same. I have come to like it. The picture does it no justice I will try to take some others from different angles. Nothing is glued down just yet but the branches are pretty heavy so I don't think they will go anywhere.

I'll fiddle with it later on during the week.

Here's my RO/DI setup. The outlet to the sink is 1/2 but the damn adapter that they give you is for 3/8 so I had to get a reducer to go from 1/2 to 3/8 then I was able to put the adapter, then had to get a hose that goes 3/8 to 1/2 to connect it to the sink. Such a hassle lol. Before I did all of this, I tried looking for a dang 1/2 adapter but after driving around town all day and not finding anything I just had to improvise :P

DSC_0128-1.jpg

Ball valve on the outside so I don't have to keep poking my head in there :P I have 5 gallon buckets that fit right between the cabinet and the case.

DSC_0127-1.jpg

DSC_0126-1.jpg

inferno2113

Ordered my lights on Reefgeek.com today. Since they are based here in LA I was able to save on shipping and just pick it up :).

DSC_0132-1.jpg

Bulbs are all ATI

Back

True Actinic

Blue +

Aqua Blue Special

Blue +

Purple Plus

True Actinic

Front

Angle shot with all lights on.

DSC_0138.jpg

Side Shot

DSC_0141.jpg

FTS

DSC_0142.jpg

As soon as I learn to fiddle more with this D3100 I'll start taking better pictures haha.

Also ordered CuC from reefcleaners and went to the LFS to get 2 peppermints. As soon as they were acclimated they went in and started eating aptasia! I was happy. By tomorrow there should be none. yay!

inferno2113

Thanks for the comps guys. I'm glad to say that I have no more aptasia in the tank :) those peppermints went to town on them and everything looks great. I wish they weren't so shy so I could take some pictures of them.

My order from reefcleaners is still gonna be shipped on time even tho he was in that accident. Now that's awesome customer service!

Lights are looking good. Skimmer is skimming and that's about it for now. Still need to buy that mp10 so I can get some corals soon. But I do need to start thinking about fish. Any suggestions?

inferno2113

A mix sounds good. Some expensive Clowns. A wrasse. something else colorful. and a few gobies. seems like a good plan. probably should do more research tomorrow. Thanks for the idea :)

Looking good so far!!

If you haven't already, make sure to do a complete power shut down to simulate a power outage to check if your sump can handle what your tank gives it!!

Thanks for sharing!!

inferno2113
Looking good so far!!

If you haven't already, make sure to do a complete power shut down to simulate a power outage to check if your sump can handle what your tank gives it!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Yup one of the first things done.

Plus

DSC_0165.jpg

:P

SpringFever

One of my favorate fish that would go well with your theme is a Yellow Assessor. ORA breeds these now so the cost went form $110 to $56-60. Great fish!

inferno2113
One of my favorate fish that would go well with your theme is a Yellow Assessor. ORA breeds these now so the cost went form $110 to $56-60. Great fish!

That fish looks awesome! Still 90 bucks on LiveAqua tho.

Nothing new to report. CuC came, shrimp got at some of the tiny snails. They are doing a banging job cleaning the rock. Also was able to get an mp10es. Working wonders, I love it!

Super sick right now so I'm just going to let things ride this weekend and just leave it on Cruise Control.

inferno2113

Update time.

CuC has been working hard. Rock looks clean.

DSC_0172.jpg

But the walls are getting this

DSC_0194.jpg

It looks like I need to get some cheato for the fuge. I don't know why it could be growing I'm not adding anything in there. The tests are all normal also.

Here's the MP10

DSC_0190.jpg

And the FTS

DSC_0200-1.jpg

I don't want to add anything in there until things start looking better.

I've never been a fan of those tonga branches but i like this scape, looks very natural. How's the MP10 in there, getting enough flow? Have you been able to get a wave going?

inferno2113

Yeah I can get waves in short pulse mode. They look awesome! lol

What would be the best setting to have it on?

What would be the best setting to have it on?

Man, I can never decide which setting is best. At first I used short pulse because the wave looked so badass, but I started using reef crest almost exclusively after the corals responded so well to it. I also like NTM as it uses both your saved wave and a mix of constant speeds. I found the constant speed stirred detritus up for removal by my AC70. That said, I run 50% reef crest on my 10g and anticipate using reef crest at about 80-100% on my upcoming 40br setup. I'll be sure to fill you in once I'm up and running.

inferno2113

I love watching those waves but reef crest is great.

Well I was able to get some cheato from my LFS. After cleaning it out and taking out to anemones, I put it in the sump and its doing a good job. The algae is still growing but only on the walls the CuC is doing a great job of keeping it off the rocks. I picked up 1 turbo snail and hopefully he can munch on the stuff on the glass because the other snails aren't cutting it.

I went to Vivid aquariums since I was heading to SFV for work and it was just a small detour. Picked up my first corals. I got a GSP for my GF with some zoa polyps and also a frogspawn.

Here it is starting to come out.

DSC_0213.jpg

Frogspawn

DSC_0215.jpg

Also picked up a porcelain crab

DSC_0207-1.jpg

Here's some video I shot of it.

And here is a FTS.

DSC_0216.jpg

Still need to mess with those camera settings lol :P

Also went to borders because they are going out of business so I picked up some good deals on some books.

A Pocket guide to Inverts $10

Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History $20

So if you do have one near you that is going out of business I do suggest you get some books before they are all gone.

inferno2113

So today I awoke to me GSP 1/2 eaten -_- I am really irked at that peppermint shrimp. Need to set a trap and get him to the sump.

hooligan_78

Great tank! Can't convice the other half to let me do a 40b. You'll love that porcelain crab, mine is so funny and not scared of the mag float or my hand! I can hand feed it.

inferno2113
Great tank! Can't convice the other half to let me do a 40b. You'll love that porcelain crab, mine is so funny and not scared of the mag float or my hand! I can hand feed it.

Thanks for the compliments! I hope my porcelain gets like that too.

So I've decided to try to feed the pepp and give them one more chance. It is also my fault they have been scavenging since I wanted them to clear the aptasia and decided not to feed.

Here's hoping for a good outcome.

Archived