SaltCritters.com

Inferno's 40g Breeder.

inferno2113

Called my cabinet guy and he told me that it wont be ready until this Saturday at the latest.

Also running low on funds. Waiting for that damn refund to get here like everyone else lol. As soon as it gets here its going right into the tank.

Other than that it looks like its gonna turn into a waiting game.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

coming along nicely bro!...dont know if you have drilled before, but i know alot of people are hesitant. just be patient while cutting and keep a steady flow of water to the bit

Thanks. Haven't drilled or pumped before but if I get to chicken to do it I'll go to my glass place so they can do it lol.

I've never plumbed either so I don't know which items are save to use when putting the PVC together. if anyone has a link to an article or some advice it would help out a lot and calm my nerves a bit lol.

iv always just taken a rag and made sure the ends were clean and then just used pvc glue. i tried to find a few links but nothing on how to. ill keep looking.

Don't overthink drilling, It's waayyyyy easier than you think. I've drilled about 4 tanks now. Just keep a little water around the bit with some putty. Once you actually get through the glass is when the water really matters because it starts draining through. Youtube it, then go for it. Your display tank doesn't have baffles in it so the worst that happens is you crack it, get a new one, and start over. I know that sounds a little harsh but you must realize that this is the WORST CASE SCENARIO!

Thanks for the advice Coastie and cdr5y7.

Got payed yesterday and placed my glass-holes order in today. Hopefully by Saturday I will be drilling and setting up that stand. Then plumbing by Sunday.

Here's hoping....

So this thing came in the mail today :)

DSC_0039.jpg

Depending on how the goes might Drill tonight or tomorrow. I was also gonna wait for my friend to help me out, in case I break something I can blame it on him haha.

Still waiting on that damn stand.... but I am glad things are starting to move along again.

I was also thinking about putting a SCWD on the returns. Any thoughts?

I have a SCWD on my 40 and I like it. I can really see the back and forth motions with the corals.

Advice for drilling.

Drink 2 beers -- drill first hole

Drink another beer -- drill second hole

now you have confidance, drink another beer -- drill last hole

Drink 2 more beers while celebrating and cleaning up and realizing how easy it was!!

Good Luck

gg

Personally I think I did a horrible job. But as long as the tank is still in tact that's ok lol.

1st Hole.

DSC_0040.jpg

2nd

DSC_0043.jpg

all 3

DSC_0044.jpg

Here is how it looks with the fittings.

DSC_0045.jpg

So when it came down to start painting the back I totally remembered that I had forgotten to buy some newspaper. So I improvised. Thankfully Christmas wasn't that long ago and there was some paper left hahaha. I didn't mind as long as it got the job done lol.

DSC_0048.jpg

and now here it is finished.

DSC_0056.jpg

Stand will be here tomorrow but I don't think the granite will be. I'll try to get these people to rush it because I want to be able to start cycling this baby before the end of next week.

Thanks. You can't tell on the pictures but the right return hole is higher than the left one. <_< I was very disappointed with myself lol

Thanks. You can't tell on the pictures but the right return hole is higher than the left one. <_< I was very disappointed with myself lol

thats funny the same thing happened to me the bulkheads have a little play in the hole. i just held the low one up and the high pne down when i tightened the up. it makes it a little less noticeable. plus with water in it and the line-loc in you wont be able to tell.

And the stand has been delayed....again. Sorta ruined this weekend but its nothing to fuss about, all will be back on track in due time :unsure:

And the stand has been delayed....again. Sorta ruined this weekend but its nothing to fuss about, all will be back on track in due time :unsure:

that sux

Still no stand. I'm going to tear this guy a new one.

I've been trying to not focus on this delay and have started thinking more on the lighting that is going to go into this tank. At first I was set on T5's but the more and more I read on about LED's the more I want to get some. Now the problem is that I am the worst DIY guy and I usually always mess up everything I try and make lol. What would you guys recommend for this 40B as far as LED lights go and where would I be able to purchase one.

If I did go T5 do you guys think this would be a good choice?

This 6x39 w/ Moon LEDs

That T5 would be more than enough for anything and may be to much for some, sorry inferno I dont know anything about leds

i have been running leds for about a year and a half and have to say that i love them. i was running a diy unit for a little over a year and now witn the new tank i have the boost fixture. the colors you get with just the blues is amazing, you will get the shimmer of a mh and there is almost no heat from them. my temp is like a rock. it would be hard to get the coverage that you would want over a 36in tank with the fixture i have now. thats part of why i went with the cube and not the 40b. i have seen may tanks on here running evils par38's. if you haven't take a look through the members aquariums tread there is a 40b (not sure who's but i will look) that is running 4 par38s over a 40b it looks real nice. plus you can spotlight certain corals or sections of the rockwork. if done correct spotlighting can look very nice and quite natural. i have run just about every light setup in the lask 7years: pc's, mh's, t5's and leds. the leds are the best i have run, the advantages are far outweigh the price and as the price continues to drop on them i think that they will become the norm in this hobby.

just my 2¢ hope it helps you decide.

also i think the t5 would be a nice light too. and get on that guy makin your stand we want to see water.

Thanks Gutter n Nick.

I did see those par38s and when i thought about them I was thinking of about 5 of them. The only thing is I wouldn't know which ones to get. I do like the price on them since about 5 would be almost as much as a 6x38 t5.

The stand should be ready on Saturday. I hope. But at least the granite will be ready as soon as it gets here.

Archived