Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Inferno's 40g Breeder.

inferno2113

So after a long time being away from this hobby I have decided to jump back in. Last time I think I took things to fast and rushed a few things. But with age comes patience and wisdom. This time I decided to go bigger and plan things out more.

In going this route I also am treading into newer territory that I have not dealt with before. (plumbing/Sump) So any information or advice you guys have to give is always welcome.

Here is a List of what is going to go into equipment wise. If anything is missing or if you guys have something that is better than what is listed please feel free to say something.

• Equipment
  • Tank: 40 Breeder
  • Sump/Refug: 20 Long
  • Stand: Custom built with marble top.
  • OverFlow: Glass-Holes 700gph
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB-150
  • Power Head: 1x Mp10 ES
  • Auto Top Off: JBJ ATO *Need to buy*
  • Controller: DA Reefkeeper Light *Need to buy*
  • Return Pump: Mag 7 (700 GPH)
  • Lighting: 36" 6x39 Tek T5HO

• Live Stock
  • True Percula x2
  • Blue/Green Chromis x3
  • Sleeper Gold Head Goby
  • Pink/Purple Birdsnest Frag
  • Green Slimer Frag
  • ORA Birdsnest Frag
  • Green Pocillopora Frag
  • Platygyra frag
  • Green Favia
  • Red and Green Favia?
  • Frogspawn
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Purple with Green Tips Hairy Mushrooms
  • Porcelain Crab
  • CuC Ceriths, Hermits, Nass, Nerites, Turbo Snail.

FTS 4/1/11

DSC_0401.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good. I wish I had drilled for the return line when I set mine up. 40's are such a nice footprint. I want to see this stand when it's done!

I did the 1 return, I don't know that you need two. I am a little concerned that your return pump may be a bit large for your overflow. I know it says 700gph but people say when you get closer to the max gph that the thing gets noisy.

I did one return with an MP10 on the opposite side, so far so good.

Just like gutterguy said you can check out my build as well. Feel free to ask me any questions. I don't know that I will have the answer but I'll do my best to help.

Yeah I think I've looked at almost every 40b build on here before I decided on what I chose to do. Your guys builds are awesome and influenced mine alot.

Any suggestions as far as the sump goes? I'm sure it's not the best design and I think I am going to get rid of 1 baffle next to the return pump.

Any suggestions as far as the sump goes? I'm sure it's not the best design and I think I am going to get rid of 1 baffle next to the return pump.

I am not an expert, but if I was you I would get rid of the last baffle, closest to the right on your pic. This way as the water spills over you still have the wall to block any bubbles. I only have one baffle in that spot and as my water spills into my return chamber I still pic up some micro bubbles.

Wow, this is exactly what im setting up as well. following BIG time

Also, big ups to gg, coastie, panabeurt, bonese, others for inspiration

the sump is the same design i have with the 6 baffles. works great for me. except i flipped the baffles from the skimmer to the fuge. i started at the top vs the bottom.

the sump is the same design i have with the 6 baffles. works great for me. except i flipped the baffles from the skimmer to the fuge. i started at the top vs the bottom.

how thick did you make your baffles? 1/4'' or 1/8'' and did you use glass or acrylic?

glass and the cheapest scrap glass the place had. not sure thickness. think its 1/4th

Ya it looks like 1/4th I think I might go 1/8th to save some space though. How big did you make your first chamber? It looks like it's 8 inches but i could be wrong.

Awesome. Hopefully I'll buy the glass tomorrow and install it this weekend. Hopefully the stand will be done by this Wednesday.

sweet. you making your own stand?

I had a cabinet maker make the stand for me. He's always doing stuff for my dad since he fixes houses so he got him to do it on the cheap. And then he had some extra granite on the side so that's gonna be the top. Also have a cheap glass guy getting my baffles made hopefully today for around 16 bucks.

What kind of silicone did you use to put the glass in your Sump?

sounds awesome. def post some pics when you get the stand done.

and i used 100% pure silicone. you dont want anything that is mildew resistant. look on the back of the bottle ill say 100% pure.

Got the glass baffles today got 6 of them for 20 bucks and they threw a free one in also. Picked up silicone and the tanks from a friends house and hopefully tomorrow I'll have a sump.

Cool Baffles are in and curing as we speak tomorrow will be water testing and hopefully the stand will be here by Tuesday or sooner.

I was also wondering what kind of spray paint you guys where using to paint the back walls of your tanks.

Here's the sump:

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

I tried being as neat as possible but it didn't seam to work out.

Looks great, you really did a nice job with the silicone. My silicone looks like crap, but wasnt to worried.

Krylon fusion is what you want to paint. Works great.

Looks great, you really did a nice job with the silicone. My silicone looks like crap, but wasnt to worried.

Krylon fusion is what you want to paint. Works great.

Krylon is great! You can pick it up at walmart.

+1 on the silicone. I SUCK with that stuff. Mine looks like ass.

So today I tested the sump to check for leaks and thankfully there were none.

The water in the middle was spilled. I waited to check to see if it started pooling more but no additional water came in.

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

FTS

DSC_0037.jpg

Now for that Cabinet and to order the overflow so i can drill that tank.

Archived