Cultivated Reef

Sucker!

natejonesis

Needed to get my 6-Line out for treatment .. used a rectangular shaped apple juice bottle and inverted the top. Placed a mirror in there for the wrasse to threaten his reflection and a little hole on top to introduce food with a baster. The funny thing is that the hole in the apple bottle top was huge, but he still couldn't figure it out, he kept heading for the corners.

post-8227-1297222798_thumb.jpg

Yeah, he picked up a bacterial infection so I need to quarantine and medicate him. I've always seen these traps discussed but thought they wouldn't really work that well. Turns out that this is some kind of evolutionary flaw with fishes ... they can work their way through tunnels in live rock but the opening of a bottle confounds them. I placed fish eggs in the trap with a baster and kept pumping the water with the baster so all the fishes could see the eggs swirling but couldn't get to them, they were going nuts. Then 10 minutes after my 6-Line figured out how to get in and got hypnotized by the mirror.

Yeah, the whole mirror thing works because my 6-Line is territorial. Whenever I clean my tank one side would turn mirror-like, he would flare his fins at his reflection in the acrylic for hours, that's how I got the idea. When I looked it up online it seems that others do it too.

...there are no reflective type situations in nature on the reef....

as humans, we get mixed up in a hall of mirrors, say at a carnival,

yet we look into a mirror many time a day and are used to it...

So why is it weird when fish, can't can find it's way out of a plastic bottle...

one it has NEVER seen before it's life.... :wacko:

Now.. how are you getting it out of there?

The reason I needed silicon was becasue the shape of the apple juice bottle didn't lend to the inverted top staying in by itself. Just used a knife to slice along the silicon, it cuts really easily. I intended for it to be a one use trap ... but as luck would have it, due to the silicon lining it fits snugly back into the bottle.

...there are no reflective type situations in nature on the reef....

as humans, we get mixed up in a hall of mirrors, say at a carnival,

yet we look into a mirror many time a day and are used to it...

So why is it weird when fish, can't can find it's way out of a plastic bottle...

one it has NEVER seen before it's life.... :wacko:

They've seen plastic ....

and seriously, the hole in the top was huge. I mean, it was 40% of that inverted top. If he had closed his eyes he had a near 50/50 chance of making it, that's why I thought it was particularly weird ...look at that opening in the pic. The a.j bottle has a much bigger opening than a 2L soda bottle.

Archived