Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ammonia o.O

adeebm

My zoa frags weren't as open this week as they usually are, so I checked my tank params. Turns out i have .25ppm ammonia :( No nitrites/nitrates. I just finished a 20% water change. I've been mostly freshwater so far, so I'm unsure how to proceed with ammonia levels. Do I do daily water changes until it goes down? It's a 28 tank with about 3040lbs live rock. I have filter floss, purigen and chemipure running. There are two shrimp, a couple zoa and other frags, and a carpenter wrasse. The wrasse was added 3 weeks ago, and there hasn't been any ammonia until now. I heard wrasses needed daily feeding, so that's what I've been doing. Is that too much?

--Adeeb

Go to lfs and see if ur test kit went bad!!

Keep doing water changes and u can buy an ammonia detoxifier if u!!

The test kits going bad are a possibility, but the more likely thing that is happening is that the tank is being over fed. I can't say for sure if the wrasse needs to be feed daily (I don't know of many common fish that have to be fed daily), but also watch how much food it getting away from all of the fish. If your not target feeding that might be something to think about. Basically try and limit the amount of food that gets away from your fish.

In the mean time either larger or more frequent (more frequent would be better) water changes should keep things in check. Just remember that there is ammonia in the tank for a reason and unless something died that you can't see (think CUC) then it's probably coming from feeding.

Ammonia is down to 0. Not sure what the problem was, but I did cut back on feeding. Hopefully the zoas will come around, they are a bit more closed than usual.

--Adeeb

HecticDialectics

Feeding a single fish daily in a 28g shouldn't cause ammonia problems. Are you using some nasty food? Rinsing it first? How much are you actually giving it daily?

Archived