Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is my frogspawn dying.. is it dead?

125mph

I got it on Sunday but it doesnt look to be doing well.. All water parameters seem fine:

Amm: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

PH: 8.2

Temp: 78

Calcium: 450

KH: 9

Saltinty: 1.023

Does this brown on him mean its dead matter? What can I do to save him?

DSC_0086.JPG

partyinyourhonor

looks like it is dying... what kind of light are you using? also, how often are you doing water changes/providing trace elements?

You just got it a few days ago....so it is going to be tough to blame it on your tank unless your parameters are wayyyyyyyyyyy off. They look about average. So I would think it either was already damaged when you got it, or it is still adjusting to your tank.

You can always use a turkey baster to blow off any dead tissue and hope the rest survives. If it is in high light or flow then you could lower it for a bit.

looks like it is dying... what kind of light are you using? also, how often are you doing water changes/providing trace elements?

Its the LED that comes with the NanoCube 28. Others are using it for the reef fine.

I change water once every 1 or 2 weeks. About 25% change. I actually just did a water change on Sunday. My light schedule looks like this:

Moon Lights: 8am-10am

Dusk/Dawn Lights: 10am-12pm

Daylights: 12pm - 7:59pm

Dusk/Dawn Lights: 8pm-10pm

Moon: 10pm to 12am

Is it getting too much light?

I have pretty good water flow going through the tank with EcoTech mp10.

Thanks all..

I blew off the dead tissue, dipped him in coral revive, and put him at the bottom of the tank. Maybe the light was too much for him. I also adjusted my daylight to 7.5 hours a day instead of 8.

Thanks all..

I blew off the dead tissue, dipped him in coral revive, and put him at the bottom of the tank. Maybe the light was too much for him. I also adjusted my daylight to 7.5 hours a day instead of 8.

I moved him 30 mins ago and already the tentacles are extending longer. I'll let u guys know how he does in a few days.

You should leave it be for a week, if you keep disturbing it, it will stay pissed.

Damn, its slowly dying off and I cant figure out why.. Maybe it was damaged on the car ride home... The zoa and button polyps I got the same day are doing fine..... arg..

I checked it this morning and I'm pretty sure by this weekend it will be completely dead ... I'll have to go buy another frogspawn.. they're my favorite..

its probably getting too much light. when i first added my led fixture to my tank my frogspawn got brown jelly disease and most of the heads died. i moved it down into the lower light and let it acclimate. Its offspring seem to be doing better now.

its probably getting too much light. when i first added my led fixture to my tank my frogspawn got brown jelly disease and most of the heads died. i moved it down into the lower light and let it acclimate. Its offspring seem to be doing better now.

Yes I think you may be right. Hopefully moving it to the sand bed will help. I'm going to acclimate all my new coral in the sandbed first and move them up slowly now.

always starting your coral on the sandbed or in shaded areas is the best way to go. I've also noticed with frogspawn that you should start with low flow and move into higher flow areas after acclimation and the coral is more comfortable in your tank

if it is brown jelly, it will likely die. using revive dip may help, its your best option for treatment.

Personally, i found that damage to the skeleton causes brown jelly and can spread to other lps corals and kill them off. i ALWAYS remove the coral and throw it in the trash.

Give it more time it might be ok.

The frogspawn is officially dead. I got home today and only 10% of the stump is green... the rest got overtaken by the brown jelly thing..

Well... on the bright side is all the other coral seems to be fine... Darn though, that one specific frogspawn was very bright neon green and glowed in the dark. I haven't found another one at the LFSs in a while.

i believe the brown thing is brown jelly disease. thats how mine looked when it was dying. it was amazing the whole frag turned brown in one day, and the next day it melted away already.

Archived