inTank Media Baskets

Picotopia. An original concept

Bishop

For the entertainment of the hobby and to do something different I decided to make my own pico tank. My original plan got all the way to the point of running when I came of with my current piece that I much prefer.

--The original. A 1.6 gallon drink dispenser with refugium on the bottom.

--The picotopia. A collection of 68 oz air tight acrylic canisters. Currently with 3 canisters. One being the hardware canister for the pump and heater. A second canister for the livestock. A third canister for the refugium.

One issue I have is that I would like to add a filter of some type. These jars are only 5" wide so fitting a filter into the hardware jar might not work. It would have to be a very small submersible heater.

Anouther issue is lighting. Once it gets running I'll use desk lamps over the jars with 27 watt 6500k CFL. I would like to later change to some type of LED that would offer good lighting without crimping style but even adding too it.

Got an 80 GPH pump in the mail. Has a head of 2.75 feet so this should good at maintaining a good flow through each of the canisters. The flow rate will be backed by the whole thing set on a siphon system. I'm expecting low resistance once it gets flowing.

Any good Ideas on a method of filtration or lighting would be welcome. I'm sorta considering keeping the pump higher in the jar and running the return pipe in the hardware jar to the bottom and cutting a sponge to go in the bottom.

The Drink Dispenser

post-59699-1297218668_thumb.jpg

Picotopia.

post-59699-1297218730_thumb.jpg

Us hillbillies have upgraded from shine to meth these days. For once we are the trend setter.

For the record, I don't make meth

So your the one who keeps taking my Dewalts batteries.

I think i skipped over this tank but it looks awesome! I've never seen anything like this before. What's with all of the extra bottles though? Is it going to be like a network of tanks?

I think i skipped over this tank but it looks awesome! I've never seen anything like this before. What's with all of the extra bottles though? Is it going to be like a network of tanks?

Yes, The bottles run on a network. Decided to go with bottles instead of the drink dispenser just because they are smaller and different. So far, I got my pump and live rock in today and just gotta get everything sealed good. Had a few leaks on my first leak test. Gonna cement the plumbing to stop these leaks.

One bottle holds the pump and heater. This pumps into the second bottle which will hold the live stock. Then water flows from there to the 3rd bottle which holds cheato algae. Then back to the pump chamber.

Really hoping to have everything set up and actually running this weekend. Work gets in the way of play though. The best part about this setup is that at any time, new bottles can be added fairly easily.

How are you getting oxygen into the system without the water touching air at any point? Or is the drink dispenser open topped?

The drink dispenser is not air tight. Some air can get into the lid and the bottom section has a hole for wires so air can enter. cheato will also produce some oxygen.

As for the canisters, these are air tight but the pump canister has opening to allow air to come in for oxygen exchange.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I PMed Bishop a few days ago and he said he isnt continuing with it due to other responsibilities :(

Pretty lame-o, right?

So sad.

I guess this means one of the rest of us will have to pick up the Torch....

Archived