SaltCritters.com

Is my LED lighting enough?

--April--

I have a 20H tank, I dont have any coral at the moment but thinking of buying a coral soon.

My 20H tank dimension is 24L 12W 16H inches.

I would like to have Soft and LPS corals.

LED lights 3W/LED

5x Cool White 25000K

4x Blue 20000K

TOTAL wattage 27W

How many watt per gallon or how do I measure LED light for the tank?

How many more LED do I need and how many watt per each LED(1or3w per LED bulb)

or how may watt led do I need to add?

its not about watts per gallon with LEDs because there are so many different 3w LEDs out there from those that are very very efficient and those that have a very poor efficiency. Lets take some 3w CREE's as an example which are as of right now the preferred LED to use. lets say you make a 10 LED fixture that is 5 CW and 5RB XR-E LEDs this is a good light for a properly sized tank where as lets say you went with 4CW XP-Gs and 6RB XP-Es will be a much brighter light over the same sized tank and driven at the same mA

what LEDs do you currently have and how are they arranged

its not about watts per gallon with LEDs because there are so many different 3w LEDs out there from those that are very very efficient and those that have a very poor efficiency. Lets take some 3w CREE's as an example which are as of right now the preferred LED to use. lets say you make a 10 LED fixture that is 5 CW and 5RB XR-E LEDs this is a good light for a properly sized tank where as lets say you went with 4CW XP-Gs and 6RB XP-Es will be a much brighter light over the same sized tank and driven at the same mA

what LEDs do you currently have and how are they arranged

I bought the light at eBay. Here's the description:

Description:

Build in 9*3W LED

Build in IP65 waterproof standard LED drivers

Adjustable stainless steel hanger

Waterproof power switch 

9 x 45 or 90° LED lens. Default is 45° lens. If you preferred 90°, Please specify in you order.

LED chips: EPILEDS EP-B4545V-A3 45*45mil

Color spectrum: 467-471nm 25000K

Seal Standard: IP65

Input Voltage: 85-265V

Frequency range: 47-63Hz

Rated Current: 680mA

Rated Power: 27W

Size: 500mm×52mm×60mm(108mm - from the bottom to the top of hanger) 

Net weight: app. 1210g

The pattern is white blue

can you post a link to the ad?

and from my rough length guesstimates im guessing that it is one row of LEDs if so it will definitely not be enough light for the tank

can you post a link to the ad?

and from my rough length guesstimates im guessing that it is one row of LEDs if so it will definitely not be enough light for the tank

Here's the link: Click HERE

Yes it's one row only. It light up the whole tank, it's pretty bright too. I'm having this red coralline algae thing. Is that a good algae or not?

So are you saying that this one row of LED won't survive any corals even low light coral?

you need to add more leds for coverage, the leds are more than enough to grow corals but with them all in 1 line your corals have to be a few inches from either side of the strip. generally your looking at a sweet spot of 4-6 inches under the led.

if you bought another strip it would cover the tank well.

that led is basically a actinic add on for halides. it made to get your overall color more blue. not to be run by its self.

you need to add more leds for coverage, the leds are more than enough to grow corals but with them all in 1 line your corals have to be a few inches from either side of the strip. generally your looking at a sweet spot of 4-6 inches under the led.

if you bought another strip it would cover the tank well.

that led is basically a actinic add on for halides. it made to get your overall color more blue. not to be run by its self.

Thanks for the info.

I guess I need to buy another row of led.

I don't hav the money yet though so I'll be sticking in this LED I hav for a while and hav a bit of low light coral under it.

Another row of this LED will couse me about $90.

Just to follow on as I really don't want to start a whole knew thread and clutter up the board.

I came across these

Now knowing very little about LED's, would 3 of these these provide enough light for a 55G tank, i'm pretty sure I can get 3 under the hood of my tank, so actually, a better question may be would 2 be ok, but 3 better ?

Or would I just be wasting my time and money ?

those are a waste of money i would only use those on a FOWLR tank and even then i heard they are pretty dim

Thanks for the quick reply, guess it's time for the MH lights then, oh well.

BTW, radioio sucks, I am so annoyed over this whole thing, I have already canceled 3 subscriptions and am waiting for the last one which ends in October.

Archived